"Raton, New Mexico" Raton by HumblyServingChrist
Raton Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Upon entering New Mexico from Colorado on I-25, the highway creeps up Raton Pass, reaching an elevation of 7,834 feet. On the descent, it is interesting to note that the surrounding terrain looks like how one might picture New Mexico, with its trademark sandy and rocky terrain. The appearance has a distinctively different feel than that of neighboring Colorado to the north and Texas to the east. The first town after Raton Pass is, of course, Raton. Raton is a small town perched in the northeastern corner of New Mexico. I spent the night here as a teenager while traveling home from Colorado vacation. We stayed at the Holidome, a Holiday Inn with an enclosed atrium area, which a gas station attendant told us was the “fancy” hotel in town. It had a nice indoor pool area, as is customary of Holidomes. Across the street we visited a gift shop that sold New Mexico-themed trinkets, items like a statue of a howling coyote painted in shades of teal and pink.
When leaving Raton the next morning, we traveled east on US 64/87 toward Texas. About 30 miles east of Raton, we passed the dormant cone of the Capulin Volcano National Monument. Later, on what is a fairly remote stretch of highway, we passed through the town of Clayton before hitting the Texas border. In total, I traveled through New Mexico for probably a little shy of 100 miles.
Visit my NEW MEXICO page.
HumblyServingChrist's Related Pages
Raton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raton, New Mexico"
- "Raton, New Mexico"
- "Basaic Raton Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Raton
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Raton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Raton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville Intro, 149 reviews, 380 photos, 16 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 6 reviews, 72 photos, 6 travelogues
- Atlantic Beach Intro, 3 reviews, 75 photos, 9 travelogues
- Winter Haven Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Pete Beach Intro, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 7 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tampa Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 6 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jacksonville Beach Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 3 travelogues