"~ Topeka & Colby, Kansas ~" Colby by HumblyServingChrist

Colby Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 5 photos

When does the monotony end?

I traveled through Kansas in 1993 with my parents and brother as part of a family road trip to Colorado. Believe it or not, this photo captures one of the most interesting sights on the entire stretch of I-70 that runs through the length of Kansas. This is the small skyline of the state's capital city of Topeka. To the passing motorist, Kansas appears to be a super-sized wheat field occasionally punctuated by tiny farming towns, grain elevators, cows, or the occasional tree. The easternmost quarter of the state, however, boasts a few gently rollling hills, the more developed cities of Topeka and Lawrence, and the western suburbs of the Kansas City metropolitan area. If you're heading west, the small skyline of Topeka offers the last bit of visual interest for about 500 miles or so -- when the skyline and Rocky Mountain backdrop of Denver, Colorado finally comes into view.

As far as what to do, well... I remember picking up a low-budget brochure somewhere advertising a "zoo" featuring a five-legged deer, or something like that. There is also the Museum of Independent Telephony in Abilene. I know this from another brochure. I'm sure Kansas has better offerings. I just didn't see them -- or much of anything else.

We spent the night at a roadside chain motel in the town of
Colby, about 50 or so miles from the Colorado border. It had an indoor pool that we enjoyed. For the record there was also a Wal-Mart nearby. The next morning, when we set out for Colorado, all you could see was gray fog except for a stip of yellowish-brown grain near the ground. I don't think we missed much out the window though.

Kidding aside, I am thankful to have a state with such expanses of farmland where dedicated, hard-working Americans make it their duty to ensure we have food to put on our plates.

Visit my KANSAS page.

• Last visit to Colby: Dec 1992
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2010

Comments

HumblyServingChrist

“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up in honor. James 4:10 NLT”

Badges & Stats in Colby