"Talbot Islands State Parks" Talbot Island by HSC123
Talbot Island Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 17 photos
Big Talbot Island and Little Talbot Island are two contrasting oceanfront state parks contained entirely within the city limits of Jacksonville . Together, the Talbot Islands are a destination for not only sunbathers but also hikers, kayakers, birdwatchers, nature photographers, archaeologists, geologists and anyone else with a fascination and appreciation for the truly unique.
Arguably one of the most unusual and breathtaking beaches in all of Florida, Big Talbot's untamed beach features a backdrop of cliffs known as "the bluffs," fronted by a driftwood forest of fallen, bleached white oak trees (many with root systems still intact) scattered along its northern stretch, a middle stretch of secluded sandy beach, and a southern stretch covered in reddish-brown rocks and outcroppings. Sheltrered by its protruding neighboring islands, Big Talbot boasts an incredible view of calm, turqoise waters framed by the wooded southern tip of Amelia Island and the bright white sand of Little Talbot's northern finger.
Little Talbot Island is located just south of Big Talbot Island and north of Ft. George Island. The centerpiece of the Talbot Island Geoparks, which includes Big Talbot, Ft. George and Amelia Island State Parks, here visitors will find a visitor center, nature boardwalk, hiking and kayaking trails, campgrounds and a couple of different picnicing & parking areas. While Big Talbot's beach is somewhat narrow, full of unusual geology and met by calm waters, Little Talbot's beach boasts wide, desert-like expanses of white sand backed by small dunes and dense woodland preserves teeming with wildlife. Exposed to the open sea, Little Talbot has waves like the rest of Jacksonville's beaches. A veteran of national "Best Beaches" lists, Little Talbot is also a very popular camping destination. Military ships stationed at Mayport
are visible to the south, past the flat expanse of beach at Huguenot Park.
Both Talbot Islands are also home to hidden prehistoric fossils and artifacts.
Visit my Florida page.
HSC123's Related Pages
Talbot Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Talbot Island
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Talbot Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Talbot Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville Intro, 147 reviews, 374 photos, 16 travelogues
- Atlantic Beach Intro, 4 reviews, 80 photos, 9 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 6 reviews, 72 photos, 6 travelogues
- Winter Haven Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Pete Beach Intro, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 7 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amelia Island Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos
- Tampa Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 6 travelogues
- Jacksonville Beach Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 3 travelogues