"St. Lucie County, Florida" Port Saint Lucie by noidiotsplease

Port Saint Lucie Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 10 photos

FORT PIERCE & PORT ST. LUCIE

St. Lucie County is one of the the most populous parts of Florida’s Treasure Coast. The county seat, Fort Pierce, is the gateway to the county’s Hutchinson Island beaches. Perched along the Intracoastal Waterway and part of the Atlantic, Ft. Pierce offers a lot in the way of water views and recreation with its downtown waterfront, marina, jetties, and beaches. I have not had the opportunity to explore much of the city, but I did drive there once with my wife after a day trip in Vero Beach just to basically say that we went there. Driving along A1A, we crossed one of Ft. Pierce's two main causeway bridges from the north barrier island to the mainland, and then took US 1 back. We could see a few condo towers along the beach, sailboats from the bridge, and well, the typical commercial fare found on U.S. 1. On previous trips, we also skirted Ft. Pierce's western fringe along both Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike.

While Ft. Pierce was once the county's largest city, it has actually been well surpassed in population by the surging inland boomtown of
Port St. Lucie. The past few decades have seen the city of Port St. Lucie grow from a little-known backwater to a metropolis of over 100,000 residents. Despite its apparent residential appeal, the city is a swath of suburbia that seems to lack a clear focus. Port St. Lucie actually has no port; in fact, it is several miles from the coast, and I don't think it even has a "downtown." It is basically a giant bedroom community lacking a major city to affix itself to (unless you count the older but much smaller Ft. Pierce, which is 16 miles away). I've passed through this city on both Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike, and all I can say is that it looks like a collection of housing communities.

Visit my FLORIDA page.

• Intro Updated Mar 18, 2012

Comments

noidiotsplease

“Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:6 NLT ”

Badges & Stats in Port Saint Lucie

Have you been to Port Saint Lucie?

Latest Activity in Port Saint Lucie