"Gainesville, Florida" Gainesville by noidiotsplease
Gainesville Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 183 photos
Gainesville, a medium-sized inland city about an hour and a half drive southwest of Jacksonville, is home to the University of Florida, the largest institution of higher learning in the state. As the campus of UF is very large and spread out, it is easy to think of the city and university as one in the same. Nevertheless, this overgrown university town and research center also boasts a small but growing downtown area with a couple of multi-story office buildings and a historic theater to its credit. If exploring the grounds and halls of a large, pedestrian-oriented, red brick university campus appeals to you and you have an appreciation for unique natural attractions, Gainesville makes for a worthwhile day trip excursion.
Located immediately adjacent to downtown is the beautiful campus of UF. Here, red and orange brick buildings give the school a Northeastern Ivy League appearance set amidst sabal palm clusters, majestic oaks and lush shady greens. You can wander around campus aimlessly or catch a guided tour to learn more about the school. (Be warned that a several block area around the stadium gets very packed on home football game days throughout the fall).
Located northeast of UF and downtown, in the middle of a suburban residential area, Devil's Millhopper is a very unusual and scenic state park. Here, you can wind your way down a boardwalk into the base of a giant sink hole full of lush vegetation. You can even see a few waterfalls along the way .
Speaking of water, Gainesville may be an inland city but several natural springs dot the area immediately surrrounding it. In these parts, intertubing down crystal clear spring-fed streams is a popular local activity. Just beware that unlike the generally warm waters found along all of Florida's coasts and in its rivers and lakes, the state's inland springs are quite chilly, as the water that fills them comes from great depths.
Visit my FLORIDA page.
Located northeast of UF and downtown, in the middle of a suburban residential area, Devil's Millhopper is a very unusual... more travel advice
noidiotsplease's Related Pages
Gainesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "gainesville florida"
- "Gainsville Florida -"
- "You Can Always Go Home Again"
- "Gainesville, Florida"
- "ZenGator Loves Gainesville!"
- "Gainesville, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gainesville
- Hotels in Gainesville
- Transportation in Gainesville
- Nightlife in Gainesville
- Restaurants in Gainesville
- Warnings and Dangers in Gainesville
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gainesville
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gainesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gainesville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville Intro, 153 reviews, 364 photos, 16 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 6 reviews, 72 photos, 6 travelogues
- Atlantic Beach Intro, 3 reviews, 74 photos, 9 travelogues
- Winter Haven Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 7 travelogues
- Saint Pete Beach Intro, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos
- Tampa Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 6 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jacksonville Beach Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Gainesville hotel reviews
- Fairfield Inn by Marriot, Gainesville
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Clarion Inn and Conference Center
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
- 546 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Comfort Inn University
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013