"70-Mile House, British Columbia" One Hundred Mile House by danchatman

One Hundred Mile House Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 62 photos

I love the names of these towns, called so for the distances they were along the old logging and trapping routes. There are some serious ghost towns here - so serious, in fact, that some are nearly invisible. Just a few heaps of eroded wood lying about.
Not the case here, as these two have a few years in them yet. The interior walls were covered in newspapers from the late 1800s, which the owners pasted up to help with insulation from the winter winds.

This entire area of British Columbia is one big postcard. Bright blue lakes bordered by evergreen trees climbing their way up the snow-capped mountains. Many of the lakes are interconnected, which means there is a slight current running through them upon being fed by the melting glaciers. At this one, you could walk across the lake upon decades' worth of fallen driftwood-smooth trees; many of them were huge. We stopped here for a 5-minute break, and stayed over an hour to photograph the wood's surfaces and then take a cold swim. A perfect day.

Looking in the other direction, this is what greeted me: another postcard. Our drive from B.C. took us down Route 99 toward Vancouver, and if you can't make it to the Swiss Alps, I would highly suggest Route 99 as an alternative. I haven't been to Switzerland (yet), but I can imagine the beauty - it's stunning. We had lunch at Whistler, which had a good scene eventhough it was high summer. As I like to drive, this part of the trip was especially rewarding; there was not a dull moment.

• Last visit to One Hundred Mile House: Jul 1998
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2003

danchatman

“Expand your given boundaries. But be respectful about it.”

Badges & Stats in One Hundred Mile House

Have you been to One Hundred Mile House?

Latest Activity in One Hundred Mile House