"John Day Fossil Beds National Monument" Painted Hills State Park by niamey00
Painted Hills State Park Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
The Painted Hills Unit contains over 3,000 acres of stunning scenery unique even in the Pacific Northwest. The Painted Hills are located 9 miles northwest of Mitchell, and 75 miles east of Bend.
The yellows, golds, blacks, and reds of the Painted Hills are best seen in the late afternoon. Tones and hue may appear to change from one visit to another because of ever-changing light and moisture levels.
Volcanic ash accumulated here and formed these colorful deposits, the variations in color reflect changes in ancient soils and vegetation during a major global cooling event approximately 33 million years ago.
There are several short trails of between 1/4 and a mile and a half within the units boundaries, as well as a picnic area. Camping is prohibited; the nearest facilities are in Mitchel (population 160).
The Painted Hills are off the beaten track, but it is one of those special places Oregon has so many of.
niamey00's Related Pages
Painted Hills State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "John Day Fossil Beds National Monument"
- Create a Painted Hills State Park Travel Page
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Painted Hills State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Painted Hills State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Painted Hills State Park
Photos in Painted Hills State ParkSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 29 photos
- Niamey Intro, 28 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Abomey 4 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Jaunpils Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Benin Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.