"Pasó por aquí: Passed by here" El Morro National Monument by niamey00
El Morro National Monument Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 40 photos
On a main east-west trail, dating back centuries, rises this great sandstone bluff with a pool at its base. The Zuñi Indians, whose Anasazi ancestors lived here, call it A'ts'ina --- "place of writings on the rock." The Spaniards called it El Morro --- "the headland." Anglo-Americans called it Inscription Rock. Over the centuries those who traveled this trail stopped to camp at the sheltered pool under the cliffs. Many left evidence of their passage by carving names, dates, and symbols into the cliffs of El Morro.
There are two short trails that can be taken at the monument. The first, about a half mile, takes you past the pool and along the cliff walls where you can see the inscriptions left over the past 500 years. The second, about two miles total, continues past the inscription area and to the top of the mesa, where you will find pueblo ruins.
Be sure to get a copy of the trail guide. It contains details about the lives of some of those who left their names here.
niamey00's Related Pages
El Morro National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grafitti through the ages ..."
- "Graffitti becomes history"
- "Inscription Made By Conquistadors"
- "Pasó por aquí: Passed by here"
- "Basaic El Morro National Monument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Morro National Monument
- Transportation in El Morro National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in El Morro National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Morro National Monument
- 0 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to El Morro National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Morro National Monument
Photos in El Morro National MonumentSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 29 photos
- Niamey Intro, 28 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Abomey 4 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Jaunpils Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.