"THE TOWN OF CONCORD" Concord by songlines
Concord Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 138 photos
,,,"There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself.",,,
- Henry David Thoreau
Some 20 miles from Boston city lies Concord. On my first day in Boston I went to visit there and had been looking forward to this visit very much, because I wanted to get the feel of the place where H.D.Thoreau and R.W.Emerson once dwelled, and, where in the 19th century, this place experienced a revival of literature and ideas which have affected many peoples lives all over the world. Many intellectuals were draw to Concord where anti-slavery and other reform movements flourished. Where Thoreau experienced his Walden days and wrote his "Life in the Woods" and "Civil disobedience."
Where he rather went to prison than support a tax system which did not comply with his own ethics, showed an original and individualistic approach to life. Where he penned his transcendental ideas which later influenced people like Gandhi and others. Where he lived the life of a naturalist at Walden Pond and wrote about this experience, pondering many questions about the meaning of a life well lived. He was friends with R.W.Emerson, and at least for some of his life they were very close and no doubt had many interesting conversations while walking along the beautifuly forested country side of Concord. R.W.Emerson, another great American thinker, whose quotations I have noticed and liked since I was quite young and which are well know in Europe. Emerson's house can be visited in Concord and a very interesting tour is provided telling all about his life and writings.
The local Public Library in Concord houses many manuscripts of Thoreau, it is a very interesting place to visit also. Most of Thoreau's memoriabilities are show in the Concord museum.
There is a lot more to be visited in Concord, I only managed a fraction of what can be seen, because I was on foot and only had one afternoon, still I went away totally satisfied and very excited about what more I can learn now via his books and the Internet.
This was another very interesting place to visit, to become more aquinted with Ralph Waldo Emerson's way of life and what he surrounded himself with. Several of the ladies there gave a very informative tour of the house. I must say that to be in the house of a person whose quotes I had always admired was a fine thing to do.
I admire Emerson also because he was an abolistionist and suffragist, a great American thinker.
I visited the library in Concord, this place is amazing and vast, with a fantastic reference library and great collection of local Transcendental thinkers writings, and manucripts, many of Thoreau.
- Pros:Very near the bustling city of Boston, yet a haven of peace and quiet!
- Cons:I had too little time to discover!
- In a nutshell:A stimulating place, where ideas were created and history made, this is tangible today even.
songlines' Related Pages
Concord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Concord ~"
- "The next town over"
- "The literary heart and soul of the US"
- "zChris's Concord"
- "A Great Place for Bookworms"
- "Concord, Ma...literary heaven"
- "Concord, MA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concord
- Hotels in Concord
- Transportation in Concord
- Restaurants in Concord
- Warnings and Dangers in Concord
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Concord
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Concord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concord
Top 10 Pages
- Naxos Island Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tiruvannamalai Intro, 6 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bovec Intro, 3 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- County Cork Intro, 3 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 1 review, 35 photos, 7 travelogues
- Skibbereen Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bantry Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cork Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Latest Concord hotel reviews
- Colonial Inn
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013