"A visit to Lier, the town my ancestors lived in" Lier by songlines

Lier Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 532 photos

A very pleasant town is Lier!

Lier is a very pleasant and beautiful Flemish town. It is very interesting both architecturally and historically. It has got a large share of beautiful and interesting buildings. To explore it would take more than a few days if you would also like to experience everything and take many photos.
Take for example, a little cruise on the Nete. There is also the Nete Canal.
Lier is know for it's Lierse Vlaaikes, which is a little tart made with prunes. We used to have a saying as follows 'Liereke pleziereke' that means that the people of Lier like to have fun, and apparently even today there seems to be the possibility to enjoy everything in the city, even the nightlife.

Market Place - Lier

This is the market place of Lier. At the moment being used partly as parking, the colourful objects are actually in plastic and they are to make a boundary, a lot of people have objected to them, but there you are, I think it makes the market place even more colourful. I sat down and had a traditional meal there in one of the many restaurants, one called "Het Belford", I enjoyed the good Belgian fare and was able to watch the people go by which I enjoyed. If it had been summer, I would have been sitting outside as all these restaurants have a lot of seating outside.

The old jail gate

Personally I don't know much about this gate, just that it has been around for a long time. I mean to find out more though so come back to check it out if you like.

• Pros:A very beautiful old-time town in Antwerp
  • Cons:No cons at all
  • In a nutshell:I have enjoyed my visit very much and I will return, also learn a little more about its history
  • Last visit to Lier: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2014

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM

managed to keep your Vlams vlot , met my werkende Afrikaans, is Vlams nie te mooilik om te vertand ;-)))

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 4:14 PM

Very interesting. Best of luck Agnes. I like your clever tips.

songlines Visits Here Frequently!

songlines

“To move and see and meet and taste is to live, to enjoy.”

Badges & Stats in Lier