"A visit to Lier, the town my ancestors lived in" Lier by songlines

Lier Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 447 photos

Some of the buildings in the old town

This is the Zimmer Toren, named after Zimmer who originally came from Germany and built the tower, he was a watchmaker and fancied making a tower where each of the four clocks had a different time of the world set to it. The four sides of the tower each have a clock-face. It is well worth a visit when you are in Lier and it is one of the main popular things to go and see in the town.

Market Place - Lier

This is the market place of Lier. At the moment being used partly as parking, the colourful objects are actually in plastic and they are to make a boundary, a lot of people have objected to them, but there you are, I think it makes the market place even more colourful. I sat down and had a traditional meal there in one of the many restaurants, one called "Het Belford", I enjoyed the good Belgian fare and was able to watch the people go by which I enjoyed. If it had been summer, I would have been sitting outside as all these restaurants have a lot of seating outside.

The old jail gate

Personally I don't know much about this gate, just that it has been around for a long time. I mean to find out more though so come back to check it out if you like.

• Pros:A very beautiful old-time small town in Antwerp
  • Cons:No cons at all
  • In a nutshell:I have enjoyed my visit very much and I will return, also learn a little more about its history
  • Last visit to Lier: Nov 2005
  • Intro Written Dec 6, 2005

songlines Visits Here Frequently!

songlines

“To move and see and meet and taste is to live, to enjoy.”

Badges & Stats in Lier