"A visit to Lier, the town my ancestors lived in" Lier by songlines
Lier Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 545 photos
Lier is a very pleasant and beautiful Flemish town. It is very interesting both architecturally and historically. It has got a large share of beautiful and interesting buildings. To explore it would take more than a few days if you would also like to experience everything and take many photos.
Take for example, a little cruise on the Nete. There is also the Nete Canal.
Lier is know for it's Lierse Vlaaikes, which is a little tart made with prunes. We used to have a saying as follows 'Liereke pleziereke' that means that the people of Lier like to have fun, and apparently even today there seems to be the possibility to enjoy everything in the city, even the nightlife.
This is the market place of Lier. At the moment being used partly as parking, the colourful objects are actually in plastic and they are to make a boundary, a lot of people have objected to them, but there you are, I think it makes the market place even more colourful. I sat down and had a traditional meal there in one of the many restaurants, one called "Het Belford", I enjoyed the good Belgian fare and was able to watch the people go by which I enjoyed. If it had been summer, I would have been sitting outside as all these restaurants have a lot of seating outside.
Personally I don't know much about this gate, just that it has been around for a long time. I mean to find out more though so come back to check it out if you like.
- Pros:A very beautiful old-time town in Antwerp
- Cons:No cons at all
- In a nutshell:I have enjoyed my visit very much and I will return, also learn a little more about its history
Because I am a grandmother I know about these things :-) The range of fantastic good quality and wooden toys is... more travel advice
Quite a few Flemish towns have a Beguinage, this is a remnant from the past, these refuges of another century are... more travel advice
songlines' Related Pages
Lier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lier ... a hidden gem"
- "Lier - my hometown, my love, ma belle"
- "Smallest but brightest diamant in Belgian crown"
- "Lier: culture, history and beer"
- "Lier, Schoon Lier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lier
- Hotels in Lier
- Transportation in Lier
- Nightlife in Lier
- Restaurants in Lier
- Shopping in Lier
- Warnings and Dangers in Lier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lier
- 6 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lier
Top 10 Pages
- Glengarriff Intro, 9 reviews, 68 photos, 6 travelogues
- Naxos Island Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Skibbereen Intro, 5 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lier Intro, 6 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- County Cork Intro, 4 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tiruvannamalai Intro, 6 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bovec Intro, 3 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gozo Intro, 3 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 1 review, 35 photos, 7 travelogues