"ALLIHIES - BEARA PENINSULLA - WEST CORK" Allihies by songlines
Allihies Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
You can just make out the different coloured houses of Allihies village in the distance at the foot of the mountain, these are the Slieve Miskish mountains, Knockoura being the highest peak with its head in the clouds. Allihies was once the base for the thriving copper mines in the area, which reached the peak of production in the last century. There is a walking path through this mountain range which is part of the Beara Way and it takes you along these disused copper mines. The village of Allihies looks out on Ballydonegan Bay from which the copper ore was exported by sea.
There are also archeological sites , one Megalithic Tomb can be found way up Knocknagllaun mountain to the left of the Beara Way. Best to use a good map and perhaps a book such as "walking the Beara Way" or "Walks of West Cork" or another local publication.
KNOCKGOUR MOUNTAIN - PART OF THE SLIEVE MISKISH MOUNTAIN RANGE
THE BEACH IS USUALLY QUIET, USED BY LOCAL PEOPLE OR DAY TRIPPERS.
- Pros:BEAUTIFUL SCENERY, EASY ACCESS TO MOUNTAINS AND WALKS.
- Cons:FAIRLY ISOLATED IN THE WINTER
- In a nutshell:ALLIHIES IS A PEACEFUL AND QUIET VILLAGE
songlines' Related Pages
Allihies Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Allihies
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Allihies?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Allihies
Top 10 Pages
- Naxos Island Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tiruvannamalai Intro, 6 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bovec Intro, 3 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- County Cork Intro, 3 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 1 review, 35 photos, 7 travelogues
- Skibbereen Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bantry Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cork Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues