"We are the Lucky Ones." Buckz's Profile
This is Dublin's Famine Monument, comemorating those who emigrated during the Famine (1845-50) Back then a series of poor harvests and inaction by those who could have prevented starvation (those who could have given aid didn't) led to a million deaths and a similar number emigrating. Starving immigrants were as unwelcome then as now.
In these enlightened times, little has changed.
It is easy to remember the events of the past, but we tend to ignore the problems of today, be it famine and destitution in other parts of the world,
The homeless people we step around every day as we go about our days.
This is one of Dublin Zoo's Jaguars. He will never hunt and never roam free, but his presence, and the presence of the Zoo itself gives some chance of slowing the rate at which species are going extinct... For him it is a tough price to pay.
These two leopards were in a reserve in Nakuru, Kenya. Not quite Free, but not captive either.
They get to hunt and roam, but also to fight, and to lose fights and suffer the consequences. No keeper/ranger would turn up to stop the fight and save the loser, Nature will take its course,
All this over a spotty female- hardly seems worth it...
These 2 are part of a pride of 5 lions we saw in the Masai Mara. They will never see a fence or a vet, will roam free for their entire life, but when they are too old or too weak to hunt (male especially when he losses the pride to other males) they will starve. A good life, but tough too.
Sometimes the journey is more interesting and exciting than the destination.
Many thanks for all your comments. I will endeavour to visit everyone who visits me and leaves a comment.
The pictures here are ok as thumbnails but poor when enlarged- I'm an avid photographer, but useless at scanning/photoshop. I don't do the wonders I have seen justice.
To those of you who don't recognise the motto- It is the Shackleton Family motto. Apt for a travel site.
Hong Kong and China pages coming soon, also Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
Each day on VT I read and write about far off places- but unfortunately for the next few years I will be reading about the trvels of others instead of writing my own, as I am embarking on a completely different type of adventure, one which limits travel quite alot.
Need a lift? Click here
So far I have visited 5 Continents, 30 Countries, What do they all have in common? Wonder, Beauty Cultural/Ethnic Identity. We should celebrate our differences.
Inequality, Injustice, needless poverty.
You can read.
You are computer literate.
You have access to the internet (at home, in work, or you can afford to use an internet cafe. )
That alone puts us into the highest bands of the "haves" in this world.).
Do we appreciate how lucky we are?
What can we do about it?
I won't lead the witness, you must answer this yourself.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 166 Reviews
- 185 Photos
- 22 Countries
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Where to go?"
- Commented on Voyageuse30's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Varanasi with respect"
- Buckz and canadiantravelgirl are now friends.
- created a County Kerry Travel Page "Kerry, the Kingdom that doesn't need a king."
- Wrote a Review Not a clubbing town in Marrakesh Nightlife
updated their Profile Page "We are the Lucky Ones."
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 25 reviews, 20 photos
- Ireland Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Kenya Intro, 15 reviews, 10 photos
- France Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arinsal Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Egypt Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Brussels Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Rome Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos