"We are the Lucky Ones." Buckz's Profile

Famine

This is Dublin's Famine Monument, comemorating those who emigrated during the Famine (1845-50) Back then a series of poor harvests and inaction by those who could have prevented starvation (those who could have given aid didn't) led to a million deaths and a similar number emigrating. Starving immigrants were as unwelcome then as now.
In these enlightened times, little has changed.

It is easy to remember the events of the past, but we tend to ignore the problems of today, be it famine and destitution in other parts of the world,
Or
The homeless people we step around every day as we go about our days.

Alert, Attentive but captive

This is one of Dublin Zoo's Jaguars. He will never hunt and never roam free, but his presence, and the presence of the Zoo itself gives some chance of slowing the rate at which species are going extinct... For him it is a tough price to pay.

Freedom has its price too-

These two leopards were in a reserve in Nakuru, Kenya. Not quite Free, but not captive either.
They get to hunt and roam, but also to fight, and to lose fights and suffer the consequences. No keeper/ranger would turn up to stop the fight and save the loser, Nature will take its course,
All this over a spotty female- hardly seems worth it...

Born free and couldn't care less

These 2 are part of a pride of 5 lions we saw in the Masai Mara. They will never see a fence or a vet, will roam free for their entire life, but when they are too old or too weak to hunt (male especially when he losses the pride to other males) they will starve. A good life, but tough too.

Struggle to achieve

Sometimes the journey is more interesting and exciting than the destination.

Many thanks for all your comments. I will endeavour to visit everyone who visits me and leaves a comment.
The pictures here are ok as thumbnails but poor when enlarged- I'm an avid photographer, but useless at scanning/photoshop. I don't do the wonders I have seen justice.

To those of you who don't recognise the motto- It is the Shackleton Family motto. Apt for a travel site.

Hong Kong and China pages coming soon, also Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

Each day on VT I read and write about far off places- but unfortunately for the next few years I will be reading about the trvels of others instead of writing my own, as I am embarking on a completely different type of adventure, one which limits travel quite alot.
Parenthood.

Need a lift? Click here

Who are the Lucky ones

So far I have visited 5 Continents, 30 Countries, What do they all have in common? Wonder, Beauty Cultural/Ethnic Identity. We should celebrate our differences.
What else?
Inequality, Injustice, needless poverty.
You can read.
You are computer literate.
You have access to the internet (at home, in work, or you can afford to use an internet cafe. )
That alone puts us into the highest bands of the "haves" in this world.).
Do we appreciate how lucky we are?
What can we do about it?
I won't lead the witness, you must answer this yourself.

• Intro Updated Sep 1, 2009

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Buckz's Profile Photo

Buckz

“By Endurance we Conquer”

Real Name