"Ambleside in the Lake District" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambleside by MartinSelway
Ambleside Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 38 photos
Ambleside is a fabulous place, and a favoured stop off point when we are visiting the Lakes, either on the way up or the way back.
The trouble is, it is also very popular with everyone else, and so it can get a bit busy.
Our favourite bits:
The Apple Pie Shop
Fantastic food and the best apple pie you will find anywhere!
Look out for the vast number of outdoor clothing and equipment shops to cater for the walker's every need (any every want). Some of the best are Gaynors, Stuart Cunninghams, and Field & Trek. You will find a greater concentration of stores dedicated to the outdoor enthusiast here than in any comparable town in the UK.
There are some really nice local walks that you can do from the Town. I'll post some of our favourites in due course.
There's a great park with fantastic views of the surrounding hills. The play equipment is very good and caters for the younger and older children. Our kids love it and can spend hours there on a fine day.
Views of Windermere
From the front of the Youth Hostel there are some great views over Windermere to the hills beyond. If you can time your visit with the sunset on a fine day there is a really magical atmosphere and your photographers will have a great time.
- Pros:places to eat, places to shop, places to play
- Cons:can get very busy in peak season
- In a nutshell:Great Lakes village
We haven't stayed here because we usually visit with our caravan. If we did want to stop at a budget place, this would... more travel advice
MartinSelway's Related Pages
Ambleside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A key spot in the Lake District National Park"
- "Ambleside in the Lake District"
- "WELL AND TRULY ON THE BEATEN PATH..."
- "A walker's paradise"
- "Spring in the English lakes"
- "Page on the way..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambleside
- Hotels in Ambleside
- Transportation in Ambleside
- Restaurants in Ambleside
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambleside
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Ambleside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambleside
Photos in AmblesideSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Burnley Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kefalos Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Josselin Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todmorden Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 4 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nisos Nisyros Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goathland Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dent Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.