"Goathland - Aidensfield by any other name!" Top 5 Page for this destination Goathland by MartinSelway
Goathland Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 80 photos
Yes - this is home to the village of Aidensfield in the long running and very popular 60's drama 'Heartbeat'. The village has become an established stop-off point for coach tours and those curious to visit the actual locations of the many TV programmes that are filmed in Yorkshire. So, the place is very popular, especially in summer. Even in April you would not find a parking space after about 10am.
It's just as well we didn't need one as we were staying on a Farm in the village in our caravan (see tips if interested).
The place is very charming, and is totally transformed in the evening once the coaches have all departed.
If you’re a fan of the TV series, like us, you will recognise many of the houses and buildings used in the programme. The popularity of Heartbeat is such that you will find that the Goathland Stores has permanently named itself the Aidensfield Stores - it's as though the place is merging with the character of the mythical village.
All the favourites are here: The Aidensfield Arms, Scripps Garage and Funeral Services, Aidensfield Stores, the Post Office, Doctors Surgery... and no doubt you can spot some more.
This Station is a gem. It's almost exactly as you would have found it in the 60's, complete with original Booking Office, signage, adverts, waiting room etc. In fact the only thing that gives it away are the 21st Century prices!
This is one of the main stations on the Noth Yorkshire Moors Railway. We spent a great day on the steam trains, which are run by a very enthusiastic and dedicated band of volunteers. That is not to say they are amaturist, as everything is done well.
We travelled to Pickering where we had lunch and then returned via the end of the line at Grosmont (18 miles).
- Pros:See the houses from the TV series, Goathland train station
- Cons:Coach loads and coach loads of tourists!
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit but get there early, or late.
These shops cater largely for the coach loads of tourists that pile off their coaches at regular intervals in season.... more travel advice
Somewhat rustic but characterful! We arrived as one of the first for the Easter season, and they weren’t quite ready for... more travel advice
MartinSelway's Related Pages
Goathland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Does TV help or harm a village?"
- "Goathland - Aidensfield by any other name!"
- "Goathland - Home of Heartbeat!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goathland
- Hotels in Goathland
- Transportation in Goathland
- Restaurants in Goathland
- Shopping in Goathland
- Warnings and Dangers in Goathland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goathland
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Goathland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goathland
Photos in GoathlandSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Burnley Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kefalos Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Josselin Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todmorden Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 4 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nisos Nisyros Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goathland Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dent Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.