"Lancaster - close to Mountain, Moor and Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster by MartinSelway
Lancaster Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 191 photos
My wife and I have a soft spot for this place - we both met and fell for each other while students studying at St Martin's College. I lived here for three years and my wife stopped on for an extra year to do teacher training, so we do feel qualified to talk about the place. Having said that, there might also be a touch of rosy tinted specs in our memories of old Lanky.
On a recent visit we were surprised to see how much new build there had been. The City still has the energy and buzz of a place home to a very large student population. On the down side, it is sad to see so many of the traditional pubs having a trendy makeover, complete with snazzy new name, gaudy signs and special offers.
The place has a lot going for it. To start, there's the location.
There is great variety, whether it's a trip to the port village of Glasson Dock, the Moors of Clougha Pike or a short trip to the Lakes or Yorkshire Dales.
The Ashton Memorial
Canal boat Trip & canal side walks
Some great pubs e.g. The Water Witch Pub
St George's Quay
The Stork pub Conder Green
Local Villages (Wray, Wennigton etc)
The Lune Valley
(I'll be adding tips for all these when I get a moment)
- Pros:Buildings, cosmopolitan feel, history, friendly people
- Cons:Traffic and parking
- In a nutshell:Great historic City close to mountains, moors and sea
This is a really beautiful cycle path. It's great for the whole family, and we set off on it with 7 yr old daughter on... more travel advice
Also known locally as "Snatchems". This was the name given to the pub by the locals when Lancaster was a major port. It... more travel advice
MartinSelway's Related Pages
Lancaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lancaster - close to Mountain, Moor and Sea"
- "Lancashire's Royal City"
- "The Queen is a Duke!"
- "Historic Lancaster!"
- "Lovely Lancaster"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lancaster
- Hotels in Lancaster
- Transportation in Lancaster
- Nightlife in Lancaster
- Restaurants in Lancaster
- Shopping in Lancaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Lancaster
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lancaster
- 19 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Lancaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lancaster
Photos in LancasterSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Burnley Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kefalos Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Josselin Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todmorden Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 4 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nisos Nisyros Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goathland Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dent Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.