"Taj Mahal" Agra by bharat_tanwar
Agra Travel Guide: 1,099 reviews and 3,591 photos
Taj Mahal - "the paradigm of love", "a monument of unmatched beauty". The beauty of this magnificent monument is such that it is beyond the scope of words. Taj Mahal of Agra is not just its phenomenal beauty, but the immense love which was the reason behind its construction.
For centuries, the Taj Mahal has inspired poets, painters and musicians to try and capture its elusive magic in word, colour and song. It is one of the most flawless architectural creations of the world. Since the 17th century, travellers from all the directions to come and see this ultimate memorial of love, and few have been unmoved by its incomparable beauty.
The site selected for the tomb was a garden by the Yamuna river, unshadowed by any other structure. The garden had been laid by Raja Man Singh of Amber and now belonged to his grndson, Raja Jai Singh. By a royal firman, Shahjahan gave Jai Singh four havelis in exchange for the garden. The site was also chosen because it was located on a bend in the river, and so could be seen from Shahjahan’s personal palace in Agra Fort, further upstream.
Work on the mausoleum began in 1633 and 20,000 workers laboured for 17 years to build it. The most skilled architects, inlay craftsmen, calligraphers, stone-carvers and masons came from all across Indian and lands as distant as Persia and Turkey. The master mason was from Baghdab, an expert in building the double dome from Persia, and an inlay specialist from Delhi.
Taj Mahal stands in the city of Agra, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, on the banks of the Yamuna River. Its approx 200 km south east of New Delhi. Agra is very well connected with New Delhi by road, rail & air travels....it takes 2 hours by most of the fast trains, around 4 hours by road & half & hours by air.
- Pros:its attractive & addictive beauty, one can fall in love with this white wonder.
- Cons:Avoid local tranpotation & busy markets in Agra.
My Favorite is in Agra ....Of course The Taj Mahal..........the white wonder is only attraction there. i can't forget... more travel advice
bharat_tanwar's Related Pages
Agra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Agra"
- "World of the Wonders"
- "Another Agra"
- "Agra - City of Taj Mahal and Agra Fort"
- "Red Fort"
- ">> eternal love of TAJ "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agra
- Hotels in Agra
- Transportation in Agra
- Nightlife in Agra
- Restaurants in Agra
- Shopping in Agra
- Warnings and Dangers in Agra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agra
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Agra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agra
Photos in AgraSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Rishikesh Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Klang Intro, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sentosa Island Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Taipei Shih Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Malaysia Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 3 photos