"Welcome to Noosa" Noosa Heads by backpackerbaby

Noosa Heads Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 353 photos

My first stop in Australia

Noosa is an interesting place.

I met a guy from Brisbane on the plane and he strongly objected about my plan to stay in Noosa for the first two nights. "It's just for tourists.... just the expensive cafes and restaurants on the main street, not really for a backpacker like you." That's really discouraging, I have been waiting for this trip for so long.... Anyway, he couldn't affect my decision. I ran to the bus-stop after passing the 600-people-in-queue Custom Check at Brisbane International Airport and waited for my Suncoast Pacific coach.

"Sunshine Coast, I'm coming!"

Where's my sunshine?

The weather was not nice when I got on the bus, it even went worse on the way and started raining.

"Perhaps the sun will come out in Sunshine Coast," I thouhgt, with hope.

But when I arrived at Noosa Heads, the rain not only didn't stop, instead, it poured more heavily! OK, it gave me the opportunity to use my new foldable umbrella...

I left my luggage in my dorm room and washed my face, then I went back to my room, waited for the rain to stop and chatted for a short while with my Japanese room-mate, who was busy with her laptop all the time. OK, I couldn't wait. I started my day with my umbrella and headed to the National Park.

That's an unforgettable experience to walk alone in the beginning, under the strong wind and occasional rain along the coast.

Luckily the sun finally came out later. The sky was so blue so blue. I was really on holiday!

Thanks the two New Zealand couples who walked and chatted with me for my later part of the hiking.

Sunset...

The next day I went to Fraser Island. On the way back I saw the beautiful Noosa River so I just left the coach and walked along the River alone. The sunset was so beautiful and the atmosphere was so relaxing there.

After the sun has gone, I decided to walk back to my hostel. From my map, it didn't look too far away so I felt it should be fine. A shopkeeper told me it would take about 30 minutes, so I kept walking. I'm a fast walker, no matter under normal or hurry conditions. But I just kept walking and felt it's not quite right. I met two men after walking for 20 minutes and they were so shock to know that I wanted to walk home, and said, "it seemed a really long way, needed to pass over two footbridges. If you walk really very very fastly, you'll need 30 minutes!" OK, 30 minutes seem a magic amount of time for locals. I kept walking on the street, which was unbelievable DARK! I was a bit scared so I walked with my torch. Perhaps some drivers felt strange about me - an Asian girl walking in the dark with a torch!!! Anyway, I just kept walking. After passing the first bridge for quite awhile, I still couldn't reach the second bridge but luckily a woman told me that I just needed another 15 minutes to get to Hastings Street. "Alright, I trust you." And she was the one who told the truth...

haha, it involved so much math. Question: how long I walked?

Lesson learnt: don't trust a map without a correct scale.

Anyway, I didn't regret walking for such a long way as Noosa River was really beautiful that night. Plus the second bridge I crossed had lovely scenery too...

• Pros:Noosa National Park, Noosa River, Copenhagen Ice-cream
  • Cons:Things were so expensive... even a can of baked beans!
  • In a nutshell:Just a day or two will do.
  • Last visit to Noosa Heads: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2005

backpackerbaby

“Pack your bag and go ahead!”

Badges & Stats in Noosa Heads

Have you been to Noosa Heads?

Latest Activity in Noosa Heads