"Direct translation = Long Island" Cheung Chau by backpackerbaby
Cheung Chau Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 53 photos
Cheung Chau is a small island with nothing much to see or to do. It's a famous spot for an overnight stay among the youngters and that's why there are so many booths right outside the pier renting out 'resort rooms'. There is no official tourist information centre on the island, if you're lucky, you may see an official map standing close to the pier but the map is normally blocked by the waiting crowds. Actually you don't need a map for exploring the island. There are three main streets parallel to the pier and linked up by tens of small alleys. You won't get lost no matter which direction you pick as the island is really small.
So you may wonder why I went to Cheung Chau after reading the above 'sound like not so happy' intro. Well, someone told me that he had joined a 'round-the-island' run and asked me to go and see. OK, let's go. Nobody could have imagined that we had to walk around half of the island to search for the start point before the run started, that's 32 degrees Celcius. Thanks for the nice policeman outside the pier, who told us that the start point was on the northern end of the island, thanks for my lovely friend, who told me he HAD joined the race but actually that was a walkin race, who didn't know about any info about the race except that's a 'round-the-island' race.
With my tee completely soaked in sweat, I ignored my friend after we got to the start point. I walked alone on the island, hoping to find a cooler place to calm me down.
The colourful notice boards scattered on the island were really charming, they had the magic to make me laugh. It's really funny to read the contents of the notice boards. The pic on the left shows a lovely example: "Congratulations to the following students (with names) who are admitted by the famous schools (with names of course) on HK Island". It's interesting but so warm. You could guess how close the island people are. This never happens in the city, it's just impossible.
At that moment, I felt so good. As I suddenly realized, there's still love among people somewhere in HK.
- Pros:Easy: easy life style, easy to explore, easy getaway
- Cons:Too small, perhaps too easy to get bored...
- In a nutshell:A nice day-trip destination.
backpackerbaby's Related Pages
Cheung Chau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cheung Chau, Hong Kong"
- "Cheung Chau Island"
- "Direct translation = Long Island"
- "Bun Festival in Cheung Chau"
- "Day Trip"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cheung Chau
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Cheung Chau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cheung Chau
Photos in Cheung ChauSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 59 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 27 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 29 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brisbane Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pamukkale Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos