"Another beautiful day in Africa" glennkasner's Profile

We are fortunate to live in what must rate as one of the most beautiful places on earth. - Cape Town - South Africa.
Please feel free to contact us for free travel tips and advice if you plan to come to our piece of paradise.
Maritha has many years of experience in the travel trade and will be glad to assist where necessary.

Cape Town and surrounds

Cape Town is a vibrant multi cultured city at the southern tip of Africa.
Since the birth of the "new " South Africa in 1994, tourism has become the largest foreign revenue earning industry in South Africa and Cape Town is the favourite destination of many foreign tourists.

South Africa Tourism's motto is "A world in one country" and in the Western Cape one will find a huge diversity of cultures, landscapes, wild life etc.

What a life

I was fortunate to have an office in the heart of the waterfront managing the boats in the picture. ( probably some of the most photographed boats in the world!)
Great place to work but quite a hassle to get out in the evenings especially in the height of the tourist season!.
I suppose the logical thing is to join the rest for a drink. :-)))

I was born in a town called Vredenburg and grew up in Saldanha just 8 miles away. My great grandfather had settled there after arriving from Swinamunde (now Swinoujscie in Poland) and was one of the pioneers in the South African fishing industry together with the Silverman family.
My grandfather and father were both involved in the fishing industry so it was almost natural for me to want to go to sea once graduating from High School.
I joined the merchant marine as a navigating cadet and spent a total of seven years at sea travelling the world before getting married to Maritha, a local tour consultant and settled down ashore.
This meant a huge change in career paths for me and for the next 13 years I was involved in the paint manufacturing and distribution trade.
Eventually the need for salt in my veins became too great and a compromise was reached when I joined a local marine service company where I managed a fleet of offshore supply boats before moving on to the parent company to become involved in marine salvage among other things.

Salt in the veins

My love for the sea started at a pre-school age when my father and I sailed from Saldanha to Cape Town on the Zulu Coast. My Father was the local agent for Thesens Steamship Company and the officers on board this ship were like family to me.
I still have a model of the ship that my father gave to me for my 8th birthday.

Useful Links

Try these links for route planning etc.

Just copy and paste to your browser

Electrifying Cape Town

Another one of a series of pictures of pictures I took in may 2009 during a rather rare and spectacular lightning storm that passed through.
Prints can be purchased by contacting me on glennkasner@gmail.com

• Intro Updated Sep 23, 2009

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!