"Coal mining past" Vintondale by Travmad
Vintondale Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 10 photos
The town of Vintondale north of Johnstown Pa. is the site of an interesting undertaking of different types of people to work on a common goal. Since Pennsylania has many abandoned deep coal mines that were left to leach heavy metals and acids out of the ground into streams and water sheds. Here in Vintondale a group of inivators came to the challenge of cleaning up at least one of the discharges as well as doing something good for a community.
Allen Comp brought together artists and engineers to create this area of long term cleanup and usage of space for recreation for Vintondale and other communities. My wife Julia helped work on this project with her Landscape architecture background.
This is a pic of the waste from coal mining. It was piled high and left there for future generations to clean up. Nice HUM!
This is another pic of what an area of the site looks like now.
- Pros:Coming along
- Cons:Slow going
- In a nutshell:A good example of what can change
Underground water wells pumping out minerals into a stream. Ugly but cool. more travel advice
Travmad's Related Pages
Vintondale Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Vintondale
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Vintondale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vintondale
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johnstown Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Saint Augustine Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Cristóbal de Las Casas 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Somerset Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Gettysburg Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Fryeburg 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos