"Flood city" Top 5 Page for this destination Johnstown by Travmad

Johnstown Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 114 photos

City views

This is a picture taken from the Johnstown incline plane. You can see the Conemaugh and Stoneycreek rivers joining near bottom left. www.johnstownpa.com/history.html This site will give you some valuable infor if you plan to visit the area.

Steel making

Since steel manufacturing played a major role in the formation of the city I thought I should add a shot of one of the old mills.

• Pros:Friendly
  • Cons:Gray most of the year
  • In a nutshell:Friendly city
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2006

• Jun 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM

The Johnstown incline plane looked fantastic! I would love to take a ride on that. Your flood museum and memorial national park tip was interesting as well.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Jim, fabulous little page. I especially like this incline plane. I have never heard about such form of transportation. The Johnstown brewing Company seems to be well worth a visit as well ... *winkygrin*

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 7:14 AM

Happy birthday, Jim. I was in your region yesterday, as we visited IUP. Beautiful foggy drive at 5:30am, but three hours from home... Have a wonderful day.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Gee that Incline plane looks real interesting Jim. That Brewery looks nice too. Enjoyed the read! Cheers, Ann :o)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 1:18 PM

I must admit I had never heard of Johnstown or the big flood of May 31, 1889. So this was all new to me. Interesting!

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM

I went to the keys on sunday instead. I found a place with $1.25 beers.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 7:23 PM

i think i recognise that place :O)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 7:00 AM

Johnstown is one of the few spots in Western PA I have yet to visit. Hope to come and see the Johnstown Flood site soon. Thanks for the helpful tips.

• ringleader's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 2:49 PM

So, this is Johnstown! We know people (last name, Johns) that lived there; and, we also drive by the area every time we travel to Ohio. I've heard about the flood and have always been amazed anyone survived...

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 1:16 AM

Interesting page I liked the link to Andrew Caraigie

Travmad Visits Here Frequently!

Travmad

“Peripatetic!”

Badges & Stats in Johnstown

Have you been to Johnstown?

Latest Activity in Johnstown