"My Country Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines by namiewa
Philippines Travel Guide: 24,954 reviews and 84,699 photos
Philippines archipelago consists of 7,107 islands with a total land area of 296, 912
Squares kilometers. Among the islands, more than half are unnamed; and only 462 are a square mile or larger. The islands are loosely divided into three groups: Luzon in the north, Visayas and Mindanao in the south. Other major islands include Mindoro, Palawan, and those forming the heart of the Visayan Islands - - Masbate, Samar, Panay, Negros, Cebu, Bohol and Leyte. The islands of the Philippines lie along a zone of violent earthquakes and volcanic activity, and many of the islands are mainly tops of huge undersea mountains formed by volcanic flows thrust up from the floor of the Pacific. Some of the small, low islands, however, are the results of coral growth. The larger islands of the country have rugged, mountainous interiors. Its large interior plains in the central plains of Luzon, Cagayan Valley, Agusan and Cotabato Valley contrast sharply with the high mountain areas of Central and Eastern Cordillera and Zambales.
The country, bounded on the west b the China Sea, on the east by the Pacific Ocean, and on the south by the Celebes Sea, lies a little above the equator and is 965 kilometers off the southeast coast of the Asian mainland. It is about 160 kilometers below Taiwan, and 24 kilometers above Borneo.
The Philippines is the third largest English speaking country in the world. It has a rich history combining Asian, European, and American influences. Prior to Spanish colonization in 1521, the Filipinos had a rich culture and were trading with the Chinese and the Japanese..
Filipino and English. Filipino which is based on Tagalog, is the national language. English is also widely used and is the medium of instruction in higher education..
Situated between the Tropical of Cancer and the Equator, The Philippines has a tropical to subtropical climate,
Having two pronounced seasons: The dry months from November to June, and The rainy months from July to October.
During the hottest months, temperature may reach 38’C, During the rainy season, temperature would fall below 21’C.
Rainfall in the Philippines averages 100 inches a year, with some areas receiving up to 180 inches. The lowlands have less rain than the uplands because the mountains block winds that carry rain-bearing cloud from the ocean.
Just being above the Equator, the Philippines lies in the typhoon belt. An average of 20 typhoons hit across the Philippines yearly.
Magandang umaga po. (formal/polite) - Good morning
Magandang umaga. (informal) - Good morning
Magandang tanghali po. (formal/polite) - Good noon
Magandang tanghali. (informal) - Good noon
Magandang hapon po. (formal/polite) - Good afternoon
Magandang hapon. (informal) - Good afternoon
Magandang gabi po. (formal/polite) - Good evening
Magandang gabi. (informal) - Good evening
Kumusta po kayo? (formal/polite) - How are you?
Kumusta ka? (informal) - How are you?
- Pros:Most are friendly i can tell so
- Cons:too! traffic and some part of my country aren't safe enough to enjoy!
- In a nutshell:More places to visit as you've never anticipated
Chocolate Hills in Bohol is well known coz of this man made relic and as we all know about all the seven wonder of the... more travel advice
I take a picture of this flower there in Double Happeness Pampanga while riding bus going back to Olongapo. Drop by at... more travel advice
Written Jan 27, 2004
Written Feb 10, 2004
Written Aug 2, 2007
All around Philippines
namiewa's Related Pages
Philippines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Philippines: The Fiesta Islands of Asia"
- "Tierra Adorada, Hija Del Sol De Oriente..."
- "My Country Home"
- "Over 7000 Islands!! Have Fun"
- "Beautiful Philippines Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philippines
- Hotels in Philippines
- Transportation in Philippines
- Nightlife in Philippines
- Restaurants in Philippines
- Shopping in Philippines
- Warnings and Dangers in Philippines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philippines
- 214 Reviews
- 619 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Philippines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philippines
- updated a Philippines Travel Page "My Country Home"
- Commented on one of crewrower's Philippines travel pages
- Posted in Travel Philippines Forum "Re: VT Philippines Christmas Party"
- Uploaded a Photo to "All around Philippines"
- Wrote a Review Considered the Eighth Wonder of the World in Philippines Favorites
Videos in PhilippinesSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 34 reviews, 111 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 21 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Olongapo City Intro, 42 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Bernard Intro, 25 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bohol Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manila Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay City Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cebu Island Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos