"IWO JIMA ON THE BONIN ISLANDS" Iwo Jima by Thestumps
Iwo Jima Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Our vessel, the MV 1st LT Jack Lummus went to Iwo Jima to celebrate the 50th anniversary of that battle. This was the scene of heavy carnage in 1945 where about 5 thousand Marines lost their lives and more than 20 thousand Japanese perished on this little dot of volcanic real estate in the Pacific ocean. In the backdrop, you can see Mount Suribachi where the famous flag raisers gained their fame.
Look at the guy in the water. He tried to walk ashore from the boat but found no bottom. See how close he was to the edge of the shore? It is a significant drop only a few steps towards the water from where this man is standing. I encountered the exact same scenario. The boat couldn't go all the way ashore because the surf was too strong.
This is one of the Navy's more modern landing crafts. They ride on air. It's a hydrofoil. They can take tanks, equipment and troops ashore.
- Pros:Nice opportunity to see some historical significance
- Cons:Couldn't stay on shore and nothing there really
- In a nutshell:This rated as one of my strongest impacts in all my travels.
Thestumps' Related Pages
Iwo Jima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not a Tourist Spot ..."
- "IWO JIMA ON THE BONIN ISLANDS"
- "50/th anniversary of the Battle of Iwo ! ......"
- "Iwo Jima Commemoration"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iwo Jima
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Iwo Jima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iwo Jima
Photos in Iwo JimaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- California Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Houston Intro, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saipan Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue