"Dambulla" Top 5 Page for this destination Dambulla by jennifermueller

Dambulla Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 158 photos

We stopped in Dambulla to see the cave temples. This photo was taken about 1/3 of the way up to the caves.

Dambulla Rock Temple is one of the oldest Buddhist shrines in Sri Lanka. Dating from the 3rd century b.c.,the temple is consists of five caves, which have been converted into shrines containing 154 Buddha images.

Entry is not included in the Cultural Triangle Fund ticket and costs Rs. 500.

Because Dambulla is so centrally located near the intersection between the Kandy Anaradhapura, and Habarana (toward Polonnaruwa) roads, we passed through town twice. The climb up to the temples doesn't take long, so if you are in town . . . .

We stopped in town for some short eats and to make a phone call. While we were there I burned up a roll of film photographing this lively intersection.

Dambulla is a fairly sizable town with communications stores for making calls, shops for buying just about anything and a couple of banks.

• Pros:One of the largest, oldest cave temples in Sri Lanka.
  • Cons:Not a lot else in town, images are typical of cave buddha images throught Sri Lanka.
  • Last visit to Dambulla: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2004

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2004 at 4:25 PM

I love your black & white photos, I dont remember any vendors on the way up to the temples, we must have been lucky. I found it a very peaceful place. Good info. Happy Travels (~_~)

Badges & Stats in Dambulla

Have you been to Dambulla?

Friends