"Sigiriya Rock Fortress" Top 5 Page for this destination Sigiriya by jennifermueller
Sigiriya Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 310 photos
The Sinhalese King Kasyapa and his household (think hundreds of people) lived on top of Sigiryia from about 480-495 AD.
This tranquil rock has a dramatic and violent history. King Kasyapa is said to have murdered his father, King Dhatusena, by walling him up alive and then usurping the throne which rightfully belonged to his brother Mogallana. To escape from the armies of Mogallana, Kasyapa built Sigiriya. Eventually, Mogallana defeated Kasyapa. At some point the palace became a monestary and many of the frescos were removed.
The views are pretty awesome.
Our driver brought us to the Inamaluwa Inn after we didn't like the looks of the place we had booked in Dambulla. The... more travel advice
jennifermueller's Related Pages
Sigiriya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sigiriya - The Lion Rocks"
- "Sigiriya - Rock Frostress"
- "Sigiriya Rock Fortress"
- "Fortress in the Middle of Nowhere"
- "The Lion Fortress."
- "the lion mountain"
- "Good Base for the cultural triangle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sigiriya
- Hotels in Sigiriya
- Transportation in Sigiriya
- Restaurants in Sigiriya
- Warnings and Dangers in Sigiriya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sigiriya
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Sigiriya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigiriya
Photos in SigiriyaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Polonnaruwa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dambulla Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Kandy Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sigiriya Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Assateague Island Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Assateague Island Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.