"Paignton" Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton by EasyMalc
Paignton Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 241 photos
The population of Paignton is around 50,000 and the numbers increase considerably in the summer months.
Although Paignton is mentioned in the Domesday Book it's not generally regarded as an old town. It remained a small fishing village until the railway arrived in 1859 and its appearance resembles other Victorian seaside resorts in character.
It is unashamedly a family holiday resort with its sandy beaches, pier and amusements. It has a totally different feel to Torquay and Brixham.
Popular things to do include taking a ride on the Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway, visiting the animals at Paignton Zoo and taking a boat trip from Paignton Harbour.
1. Oldway Manor was built for Isaac Merritt Singer, founder of the Singer Sewing Machine Company. At present it?s still under the local council?s control while the proposed sale goes through to turn it into a hotel
2. Torbay Picture House (now closed), built in 1907, was Europe's oldest purpose built cinema and often visited by Agatha Christie. There are plans to re-open it as a cinema again, but it could take a while
3. The Royal Bijou Theatre in Hyde Rd. (now demolished) was the theatre used for the premiere of Gilbert and Sullivan's 'Pirates of Penzance'
4. Rossitters department store (closed in 2009 after 150 years in business) was considered to be the inspiration for the sitcom "Are You Being Served?"
- Pros:Safe Beaches
- Cons:Not much in the way of Culture
- In a nutshell:An ideal place for a family holiday
Stoke Gabriel is one of those places that visitors tend to overlook when coming to the area, and that?s what makes it... more travel advice
Elberry Cove is situated on the Paignton and Brixham boundary and the only practical way of getting there is by walking... more travel advice
EasyMalc's Related Pages
Paignton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "After Many Years Of Being A Passing Aquaintance..."
- "Paignton, South Devon"
- "A (slightly damp) Sunday in and around Paignton"
- "Paignton to Kingswear"
- "Braving the hills of Paignton - Training Phase II"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paignton
- Hotels in Paignton
- Transportation in Paignton
- Nightlife in Paignton
- Restaurants in Paignton
- Warnings and Dangers in Paignton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paignton
- 28 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Paignton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paignton
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 47 reviews, 195 photos
- Berlin Intro, 43 reviews, 193 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 36 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torquay Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton Intro, 28 reviews, 105 photos
- Brixham Intro, 23 reviews, 99 photos
- Totnes Intro, 18 reviews, 76 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 17 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dartmouth Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos