"Paignton" Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton by EasyMalc
Paignton Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 170 photos
Paignton is one of the three towns that make up the urban area of Torbay in South Devon and is situated between the other two towns of Torquay and Brixham.
The population of Paignton is around 50,000 and the numbers increase considerably in the summer months.
Although Paignton is mentioned in the Domesday Book it's not generally regarded as an old town. It remained a small fishing village until the railway arrived in 1859 and its appearance resembles other Victorian seaside resorts in character.
It is unashamedly a family holiday resort with its sandy beaches, pier and amusements. It has a totally different feel to Torquay and Brixham.
Popular things to do include taking a ride on the Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway, visiting the animals at Paignton Zoo and taking a boat trip from Paignton Harbour.
1. Oldway Manor was built for Isaac Merritt Singer, founder of the Singer Sewing Machine Company. At present it is owned by the council but will shortly be turned into a hotel.
2. Torbay Picture House (now closed), built in 1907, was Europe's oldest purpose built cinema and often visited by Agatha Christie.
3. The Royal Bijou Theatre in Hyde Rd. (now demolished) was the theatre used for the premiere of Gilbert and Sullivan's 'Pirates of Penzance'
4. Rossitters department store (closed in 2009 after 150 years in business) was considered to be the inspiration for the sitcom "Are You Being Served?"
- Pros:Safe Beaches
- Cons:Not much in the way of Culture
- In a nutshell:An ideal place for a family holiday
BMAD is an acronym for ‘Bikers Make a Difference’ and each Wednesday evening in the Summer a mile of motorbikes line up... more travel advice
If you fancy watching a film while you’re in Paignton then the Vue Cinema (formerly The Apollo) is situated on Paignton... more travel advice
EasyMalc's Related Pages
Paignton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Passing Aquaintance"
- "Paignton, South Devon"
- "Paignton to Kingswear"
- "Braving the hills of Paignton - Training Phase II"
- "PAIGNTON - DEVON"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paignton
- Hotels in Paignton
- Transportation in Paignton
- Nightlife in Paignton
- Restaurants in Paignton
- Warnings and Dangers in Paignton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paignton
- 27 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Paignton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paignton
Photos in PaigntonSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torquay Intro, 32 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Brixham Intro, 23 reviews, 99 photos
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos
- Totnes Intro, 14 reviews, 64 photos
- Cockington Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Dresden Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 11 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mousehole Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue