"Assateague Island" Assateague Island by dharmabum222
Assateague Island Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 47 photos
Many people that I encounter do not know where Assateague Island is, but when I mention that there is an island where wild horses roam free, it jogs their memory a bit. Movies have been filmed here with "big name" actors and each year an auction is held to thin the herds of horses on the island. The festivities draw huge crowds who gather at the shore to watch the traditional swim of the horses from Assateague Island to Chincoteague island for the auction.
From the moment that you cross the bridge on to Assateague island, you are surrounded by phragmites, sea grass, marshes and horses. You may wonder before arriving whether you will be lucky enough to see a horse or 2, but never you mind. There is a reason why they have to thin out the herd every year by auctioning horses to the highest bidder, it is because they are everywhere! They are more sedentary during the day, but as the temperature cools and the sun gets low in the sky, they become more frisky. This island is a truly special place and for more information about why, read my travelogue.
There are signs all over asking tourists not to feed the horses and, yes there were people who tried to feed the horses. We were extra careful to not feed them by keeping all of our food in bins and coolers, but one frisky horse embarked on our site and broke open a large bin to get to a bag of marshmallows. We tried to dissuade him, but he was way bigger than us and won the battle!
- Pros:Beautiful beach, beautiful horses, gigantic bugs
- Cons:You will need a blood transfusion from all that you loose to the mosquitoes.
- In a nutshell:If you bring some Deet and eat before dark you will have a great time.
The waves in Assateague are perfect for boogie boarding, so if you have one, bring it. If you do not, don't worry,... more travel advice
Unless you plan to drive the 10 miles to Ocean City for a night of debaucerous nightlife, nightlife in the state and... more travel advice
dharmabum222's Related Pages
Assateague Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful National Seashores"
- "Assateague Island"
- "One of Two with Wild Horses"
- "The subject of many book reports and fantasies."
- "Wild Horses....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assateague Island
- Nightlife in Assateague Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Assateague Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assateague Island
- 4 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Assateague Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assateague Island
Photos in Assateague IslandSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 54 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Martha's Vineyard Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Huntington Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue