"The Land of Ice and Fire but mostly Water" Iceland by dharmabum222
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,389 reviews and 15,676 photos
We set our sights on Iceland several months ago after a failed plan for a trip to Portugal and an accidental spotting of a great deal on airline tickets right here on VT. Iceland had been on my radar for years since seeing pictures of a friend's trip and it finally came in to focus after buying our tickets. Fellow VTer and best friend Linnea13 and I spent 4 initial nights in Rekyavik, the beautiful capital of Iceland and then took off in our Nissan Micra for the Ring Road. The Ring Road is a stretch of sometimes road, sometimes gravel, that runs what is essentially the perimeter of the island. Being lovers of a challenging road trip and taking advantage of the long hours of daylight, we were convinced that we could see it in it's entirety....in 6 days...and we did, along with every sight along the way.
Nearly every person that we met in Iceland spoke English which made for a very unique experience. I usually enjoy learning a bit of the language when I travel and Icelandic was no different, however, many of the people that we spoke to said that they prefer to speak to foreigners in English as foreign accented Icelandic is very difficult for them to understand.
Icelanders take pride in the fact that they speak this beautiful ancient language and they should be. I was told that there are only about about 350,000 "Islenska" speakers in the world and great strides are taken to ensure that the language stays alive and well.
You can listen to some of the words spoken here:
Common Icelandic Words Spoken
Icelandic has four letters, which are not used in English:
Ð,ð(sounds like: th in gather)
Þ,þ (sounds like: th in thing)
Æ,æ (sounds like "i" in like)
Ö,ö (sounds similar to u in fur)
A few Icelandic words that we found important:
Takk fyrir or Takk- Thank you
Hallo or Goðan daginn-hello, good day
Talar þu ensku?- Do you speak English?
Eg heiti- My name is
***and if you are on a road trip: 'Malbik Endar' on a road sign, which means, paved road ends
My tips will be most applicable to people on a budget. We stayed in hostels, researched camping but never did it due to me being sick, ate when we could, hiked as much as possible, barely slept and spent the greater part of our time in Iceland outside of Rekyavik. If you are looking for information about the more remote parts of Iceland, I hope that I can help.
All of my "general tips" will pertain to the towns or villages that we stayed in or stopped in Rekyavik, Heimaey on the Westman Islands, Hof, Seiðsfjörðer, Husavik and Akureyri in that order.
All of my "off the beaten path" tips will pertain to sites outside of those towns.
All of the photos on this, as with all of my pages were taken by me or someone with me...but mainly me.
The currency in Iceland is the Krona (singluar) or Kronur (plural). Where possible, I will give prices in US dollars (my home currency) and Kronur. At the time of my trip there were 65 ISK to the dollar.
- Pros:I once read: "Some people claim that in the silence of Iceland's wilderness you come closest to hearing God"...I now agree
- Cons:The 24 hour daylight makes sleep difficult, it might blow at any minute & it is more expensive than you have heard!
- In a nutshell:It is simply stunning to see volcanoes and glaciers co-existing with 24 hour daylight and a sky unlike any other...unlike anywhere in the world!
These signs are at the gateways of all of the larger towns. more travel advice
- See All From Rekyavik- Hop a flight to Heimaey
- Must have packing items...
- Hiking, Trekking, Backpacking...
- The coolest outerwear around!
- See All have a coffee on the square...
Written Jun 12, 2005
Hearing god through the clouds
Written Jun 11, 2005
Never ending Daylight
dharmabum222's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 58 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 54 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Martha's Vineyard Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- St. John Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Huntington Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Top Iceland hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2884 Photos
- Höfn Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 145 Photos
- Þingvellir Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 313 Photos
- Hvammstangi Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Garðabær Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Borgarnes Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Stafafell Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Selfoss Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Vík í Mýrdal Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 178 Photos
- Mÿvatn Hotels
- 69 Reviews - 357 Photos
- Keflavík Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Hellnar Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Vík Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Stykkishólmur Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 78 Photos