"The Beautiful Big Island: Ilha Grande" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande by dharmabum222

Ilha Grande Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 206 photos

Vila do Abraao

It is hard not to fall in love with the Vila do Abraao on the island of Ilha Grande. From the moment that you step off of the ferry that takes you from Angra dos Reis to this magical island the stress of the world rolls off of your shoulders. You disembark the ferry to be greeted by some of the sweetest stray dogs that I have ever met. Go ahead and pet them, they love it and will love you too.

Reflecting back on my time on Ilha Grandfe, I am not sure if it was just my personal experience and perception or where I was at in my life at the time but I cannot remeber feeling more at home somewhere and so in love with the world.

Hidden beauty at every turn

Ilha Grande is a haven for flora and fauna of all kinds. If you walk the streets at sunrise or sunset, you are bound to stumble on unassuming views just like this one. You can see the parrots beak (small jutting mountain on the top left of the photo) a favorite destination for hikers and climbers.

"Ecologia"

Ilha Grande is unique in that the people who live there and most of those who visit there are true environmental conservationists. They embrace their surroundings like a family member and do everything in their power to protect them. There are so many hiking trails that one would need to spend a month to traverse them all. This photo was taken on a hike to Lopes Mendes beach. I paused for several minutes to take in one of the most breathtaking views of my life and will always remember the feeling of the sun baking my skin and the breeze through the banana trees as I dug through my bag to find my camera... I know that I have heard it elsewhere but a popular saying here is "take only photographs and leave only footprints" and it suits them well.

• Pros:Once you arrive, it is pure and simple relaxation and beauty
  • Cons:Transportation to the island can be challenging if you are not up for an adventure
  • In a nutshell:Heaven
  • Last visit to Ilha Grande: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 6:06 PM

nice page!

• ilhagrande's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2005 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for your message about internet cafe ilhagrande.com You are always welcome ! Veronica d' Avila www.ilhagrande.com

• dassi's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2005 at 10:33 PM

What a great site. This is deffen sure a place I would love to come to both for nature and as a dog lover :)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 11:51 PM

excellent page, dripping with love ^..^

• ophiru's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 11:28 PM

i love the pictures and tips ! Take care

• Dec 7, 2004 at 4:44 AM

I loved your IIha Grande pages, through your eyes I have seen just why it is "Peace and tranquility on Earth" - thankyou from Martin

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 12:10 PM

Looks like a fantastic place - total tranquility yet with lots to do with watersports and hiking - great page and photos - thanks.

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2004 at 9:04 AM

Hey Nicole, fabulous stuff on Ilha Grande. Your HP rocks as well - great quotes, and could really get a sense of who u are as a person. Is the travel motto your own? Take care... Siddharth from India

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 10:31 PM

impressive site, photos, comments and tips - Bravo

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 9:09 PM

Lopes mendes beach sounds really good right now :) I'd jump in there and cool off a little :) Wonderful page on llha grande.. Would make sure I use your tips when I get there someday :) Thanks.

dharmabum222

“New experiences, new places...it is what life is all about”

Badges & Stats in Ilha Grande

Have you been to Ilha Grande?

Latest Activity in Ilha Grande