"The Beautiful Big Island: Ilha Grande" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande by dharmabum222
Ilha Grande Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 206 photos
It is hard not to fall in love with the Vila do Abraao on the island of Ilha Grande. From the moment that you step off of the ferry that takes you from Angra dos Reis to this magical island the stress of the world rolls off of your shoulders. You disembark the ferry to be greeted by some of the sweetest stray dogs that I have ever met. Go ahead and pet them, they love it and will love you too.
Reflecting back on my time on Ilha Grandfe, I am not sure if it was just my personal experience and perception or where I was at in my life at the time but I cannot remeber feeling more at home somewhere and so in love with the world.
Ilha Grande is a haven for flora and fauna of all kinds. If you walk the streets at sunrise or sunset, you are bound to stumble on unassuming views just like this one. You can see the parrots beak (small jutting mountain on the top left of the photo) a favorite destination for hikers and climbers.
Ilha Grande is unique in that the people who live there and most of those who visit there are true environmental conservationists. They embrace their surroundings like a family member and do everything in their power to protect them. There are so many hiking trails that one would need to spend a month to traverse them all. This photo was taken on a hike to Lopes Mendes beach. I paused for several minutes to take in one of the most breathtaking views of my life and will always remember the feeling of the sun baking my skin and the breeze through the banana trees as I dug through my bag to find my camera... I know that I have heard it elsewhere but a popular saying here is "take only photographs and leave only footprints" and it suits them well.
- Pros:Once you arrive, it is pure and simple relaxation and beauty
- Cons:Transportation to the island can be challenging if you are not up for an adventure
- In a nutshell:Heaven
While walking the rainforests of Ilha Grande, it is entirely possible to see one of the many species of monkey that make... more travel advice
If you are a swimmer, the water in these locations is heavenly! The snorkeling is admittedly not great, but you can jump... more travel advice
- See All Freguesia de Santana- the oldest church...
- See All Traditional Brazilian fare
- See All Dining for 2...
dharmabum222's Related Pages
Ilha Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A VERY POLEMIC PLACE"
- "The Beautiful Big Island: Ilha Grande"
- ":: Ilha Grande ::"
- "Ilha Grande"
- "AN ISLAND THAT WE FEEL IT IS OUR HOME"
- "Ilha Grande"
- "Ilha Grande - Paradise Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha Grande
- Hotels in Ilha Grande
- Transportation in Ilha Grande
- Nightlife in Ilha Grande
- Restaurants in Ilha Grande
- Shopping in Ilha Grande
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha Grande
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha Grande
- 20 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ilha Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha Grande
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 54 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Martha's Vineyard Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- St. John Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Huntington Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue