"Morella and its Castle" Morella by mollymoo0oo0
Morella Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 114 photos
The small town of Morella is to be found in the Castellón area of the Comunidad Valenciana in Eastern Spain. A wander through the cobbled streets feels like a retreat to times long ago... the town is built on a rock, overlooking the Mediterranean from over 1000 metres above sea level, and at the height of the hill sits the castle of Morella. An ancient wall surrounds the village, which reminds us of times gone by.
A few hours were spent wandering the grounds of the Castle of Morella. Its structure was built by Arabs during the Moor occupation of Spain and throughout history, because of its strategic position, the castle has seen many battles. The castle has been destroyed and then rebuilt by Iberians, Romans, Arabs and Christians. Remains still exist from all these periods in History, creating a wonder to wander around and allow imagination to run free.
On the day when I visited the castle, there was also a Medieval Fair taking place, with stalls selling local produce - cakes, cheese, meats, sweets, as well as toys and crafts.
The surrounding streets in the town offered many small shops, mainly of foods, crafts and gift items, and I would have appreciated the opportunity for a little more time to explore. There was also an impressive looking church, which perhaps I could see another time.
- Pros:Beautiful location up in the hills
- Cons:Far from nearby towns, would certainly require a car
- In a nutshell:Wonderful castle ruins, a pretty church, and lovely old cobbled streets
mollymoo0oo0's Related Pages
Morella Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Morella, un pueblito poco conocido"
- "Morella, capital of Els Ports"
- "Majestic Citadel Perched on the Steep Hill"
- "Morella and its Castle"
- "EL MAESTRAT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morella
- Hotels in Morella
- Transportation in Morella
- Restaurants in Morella
- Warnings and Dangers in Morella
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morella
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Morella?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morella
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 41 reviews, 94 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 21 photos, 4 travelogues
- England Intro, 14 reviews, 5 photos
- Palma de Mallorca Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oliva Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Cairo Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos