"Seoul, South Korea" Seoul by stmlnyc
Seoul Travel Guide: 3,048 reviews and 7,523 photos
Initially expected Seoul to be a mini Tokyo given its proximity to and historical influence from Japan.
Although there are similarities, Seoul reminded me more of Bangkok...but without the smiles! Outdoor food stalls and shopping venues seem to be everywhere, selling many of the same items. Their rainy seasons are even the same--hot and humid--and they use toilet paper as napkins at eateries.
Unlike Bangkok, there weren`t many stray dogs roaming the streets (but there could be a reason for that! see Local Customs*) and I didn`t see any beggars although there were homeless, almost all older men.
There are several interesting areas in Seoul besides the tourist spots of Seoul Tower in Namsan Park and
Yeouido Island--the financial district, suppose to be Seoul`s Manhattan.
Olympic Park--a bit run down since the 1988 Olympics but a nice place for a stroll or bike ride.
Sinchon--where Yonsei University is, many, many bars, shopping stores, restaurants, pool halls, and arcades.
Didn`t get the chance to tour the DMZ border with North Korea, need
to book it in advance and it ll take
almost the entire day.
Seoul is full of young people thanks to its many universities/schools and transportation is very easy and cheap to get around. One thing you`ll notice is the popularity of hip-hop/house music and, not
surprisingly, kimchi everywhere.
When visiting Seoul, be prepared to climb stairs, to get to the other side of the street, you ll often have to take an... more travel advice
Stayed at the Metro Hotel from July 21-24th, right in the city center of Myeongdong. A TGIFs is right next door and the... more travel advice
stmlnyc's Related Pages
Seoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- "Return to Seoul"
- "Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!"
- "Seoul: Energy in the Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Organized Chaos --> Seoul, South Korea"
- "Seoul, Capital of Korea"
- "Backpacking Korea in Winter / Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seoul
- Hotels in Seoul
- Transportation in Seoul
- Nightlife in Seoul
- Restaurants in Seoul
- Shopping in Seoul
- Warnings and Dangers in Seoul
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Seoul
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seoul
Photos in SeoulSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sichuan Sheng Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huangshan Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Singapore Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Lijiang Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Tengchong Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Seoul Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Seoul hotel reviews
- Kaya Hotel
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Mayfield Hotel Seoul
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Seoul
- 192 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Yim's House Seoul
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Vision Hotel Seoul
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 11, 2013
- Noble Hotel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- New Boolim Tourist Hotel Seoul
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Fraser Place Central Seoul
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Novotel Ambassador Doksan
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Seoul Leisure Tourist Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Imperial Palace Hotel Seoul
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Itaewon Hotel Seoul
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Crown Insadong
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- M Chereville
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013