"Dayton, Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton by Voyageuse30

Dayton Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 800 photos

Welcome

It's not called the Birthplace of Aviation for nothing. Many sites here are geared towards the Wright Brothers and aviation in general.

It's not too bad for a medium-sized city. I have to admit that without the 'birthplace of aviation' claim to fame, it wouldn't stand out much from any other city of its size.

But it has lots to do for aviation fans and it has a reasonable cost of living for its inhabitants. Also, there are lots of opportunities for higher education.

Jet noise - the sound of freedom!

Because I've always loved jets and airplanes, I'm lucky that I live in Dayton because there are a lot of opportunities to see jets, or maybe even ride in them!

The F-16 is a pretty cool jet. I've had the opportunity to go up for a backseat ride twice. It's just like a really smooth roller coaster ride, except that it flips upside down/right-side up on a dime, crushes you with very strong G forces, and travels at like a billion miles an hour. And it's hard to walk after a one-hour ride, unless of course you're a pilot and you're accustomed to it.

• Pros:Small, relatively diverse population, great for aviation buffs; easy to get around
  • Cons:Rather unexciting; lacks many cultural activities
  • Intro Updated Dec 25, 2005

• Jun 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM

What a ridiculously RACIST comment. Stay out of the West side, miss the National Park and the Dayton Art Institute. I canvassed these neighborhoods on foot last fall, and I live on the west side, it is not dangerous at all.

• Jul 4, 2007 at 12:51 AM

The "dark" side, eh? Kind of a racist remark, but, hey, I agree wit ya! I would also avoid the East Side, North Dayton, Brown Street area . . . Salem Avenue and North Main aint exactly the fun areas!

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Good tips on Dayton--thanks for mentioning the need for a reservation to tour the various Air Force One planes--DH and I would like to see that and we wouldn't have known about the need to have a reservation.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 3:05 AM

Nice page on your hometown Jennifer! Blu

• Apr 1, 2006 at 12:43 PM

I'm from Orlando and everyone I told that to in Dayton asked me why I would come to Dayton... Everyone there says Dayton is a depressed and bleak area to live. I met a girl there and she said the same thing. Turned out she was a drug addict and liar.

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 12:29 PM

great page!! I have friends station there in WP and maybe this summer I might pay visit to your hometown

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2005 at 8:51 AM

Nice to visit your hometown Thanks for visiting Oban I have just started this page so may take some time!!

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2005 at 4:46 PM

Let's compare Melbourne, FL's pedophilia statistics with your West Dayton crime stats. I'm sure Florida will win. I've a fear of flying (doesn't stop me from traveling) so I think I would be interested in the military aviation museum. Nice work here.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2005 at 6:45 AM

Being a fan of all things flying since childhood that aviation museum has just put Dayton on my map for when I visit America. That AND an airshow and space museum. Impressive. Great page too!

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 2:48 AM

Beautiful view on the city! I like high-rise buildings:)) Greetingz from Europe:)

Voyageuse30 Used To Live Here!

Voyageuse30

“Living in Virginia now... calling it home.”

Badges & Stats in Dayton