"Stone Mountain Park" Stone Mountain State Memorial Park by Voyageuse30

THE BIG GRANITE ROCK

This is the world's largest piece of exposed granite and it's 825 feet high. The carving is larger than Mount Rushmore and depicts President Jefferson Davis, General Robert E. Lee, and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

THE SKYLIFT

Taking this cable car to the top of the mountain will give you awesome views of the mountain and the land below (and the Atlanta skyline)! It may not seem high in this picture, but believe me, when you're standing on top of that big rock, you know you're way up there!

THE ANTEBELLUM PLANTATION

This is one building in an original collection that represents a pre-Civil War plantation.

This is sort of a small village that you can walk through, a step back in time. There are also kitchens, plantation homes, and even a log cabin.

• Pros:Great family park
  • Cons:It sure is hot in the summertime
  • In a nutshell:A great journey back in time, and a great view from atop the mountain
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2004

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 6:38 AM

Larger than Rushmore? I had no idea, I'll have to make it over here the next time I'm in ATL!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 2:30 PM

The skyride does look like fun!

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 12:51 PM

Fanstastic photos. Looks a great place to visit - will add it to my list

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 2:51 PM

Hmm, did they even have this cablecar when I was here in'89? I do recall walking around up near the top of the mtn and almost getting lost in the fog though...

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2004 at 5:25 AM

Excellent tip and pics. We were at Stone Mountain two years ago. Wish we had had our didgital camera then.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2004 at 11:43 AM

Stone Mountain is much more fun than it sounds like when you mention it. Your page shows some of the good things about it.

• just4funds's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 10:59 PM

I was there for only one night. I'm jealous that you got to actually SEE it!! Keep smilin'

Voyageuse30

“Living in Virginia now... calling it home.”

Badges & Stats in Stone Mountain State Memorial Park

Have you been to Stone Mountain State Memorial Park?

Latest Activity in Stone Mountain State Memorial Park