"Utah Beach - World War II Site" Sainte-Marie-du-Mont by Voyageuse30
Sainte-Marie-du-Mont Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 32 photos
Utah Beach is a "must-see" if you want to visit World War II sites in Normandy related to the American invasion.
This beach is much flatter than Omaha, and perhaps this is one reason why American casualties here were not as high as at Omaha Beach. The museum does a great job of describing the planning and execution of the landing here by American troops in June 1944, D-Day (see Tips - "Things to Do").
In driving on the small winding roads leading up to the museum, I was humbled to see the occasional American/French flag combination flying on some small farm houses along the route. Sure, this may be just an effort to play into the tourism, but somehow I don't think so. Anyone who seems to think that all the French people hate Americans, or that they don't appreciate our alliance over the years past, needs to see this charming part of France for themselves.
- Pros:Small-town charm, not overly touristy
Voyageuse30's Related Pages
Sainte-Marie-du-Mont Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Utah Beach"
- "Utah Beach - World War II Site"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Sainte-Marie-du-Mont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Rouen Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Chicago Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concord Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Beach Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sainte-Mère-Église Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Colleville-sur-Mer Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos