"Starting Over in Ohio" Voyageuse30's Profile

After spending nearly a year in Ohioan wedded bliss, my husband and I decided to move permanently to France. We got there in October 2006.

Things didn't work out as well as I would have hoped. My husband and I are still together, don't worry. :) But we have decided that we need to be in the U.S., so we moved back in the summer of 2008.

THE DREAMER.

Once upon a time there was a little girl, about 10 years old, who loved to lay down on the grass in her backyard on nice sunny days and watch the airplanes fly way overhead. She always wondered, who's on those airplanes and where are they going? She was jealous. She always said to herself, I want to go, too! She also loved to sit quietly in her room and read books about people and places far away.

That little girl was me, and still is. I always want to go somewhere. My mind and my soul are never content to just be in one place for very long. Ever since my first taste of England in 1993, I haven't been able to sit still.

I've only been to 7 countries so far. That's not nearly as exhaustive as my list of must-sees, so I'm working on it. But I must say that the places I have seen, I've experienced pretty extensively. I've spent considerable time in the UK (England/Scotland/Wales), Germany, and France in particular. I can tell someone great detail about those and they each have very special memories. I've spent less amounts of time in the Czech Republic, Austria, Crete, and Luxembourg, but enjoyed them very much just the same.

Seeing selected parts of all countries in Europe is my ultimate goal. It just has so many fascinating aspects to it. I'd like to see every continent, but Europe is where it's at for me. Since I'll be living there again soon, I'll have more opportunities to explore it even further. I can't wait!!

FOREVER CHANGED.

I truly believe that travel makes a person more open minded and sympathetic to others. I have noticed this in myself and now I can't imagine having any other outlook on life.

I have been fortunate enough to meet people from so many different backgrounds. We are all so different but we all have basically the same inner core with the same needs and wants. No one of us is any better than the other, no smarter or better off. We are all just different.

Travelling has given me this insight and many more. I'll go into some more philosophies elsewhere. Until then, please have a look around at some places I have been and I highly recommend that if you haven't yet ventured out beyond your hometown, please, GO!!! You'll be forever changed.

MY TRAVEL HIGHLIGHTS.

These are places I consider the best of those that I've been to, due to particularly happy memories that occured there:

FRANCE:
-Rouen - where my husband used to live. Many happy memories walking hand-in-hand with him through the streets. Hitting the pubs, shopping, meeting friends for coffee or a drink.
-Gaillefontaine - visiting his parents in this tiny village. Many great meals and relaxing visits to their lovely home.

ENGLAND:
-I spent almost 5 years here, and my good memories are almost too numerous to share.

SCOTLAND:
-Edinburgh - Realizing the competitive spirit between the English and the Scottish at a pub on Rose Street. Learning the history of the rivalry between the two and more history by a few guys who bought us all beer and treated us like old friends.

GERMANY:
-Lauterbach - A friend and I passed through this small place on the way to Triberg and the Black Forest. Everyone was dressed up and drinking in the town square for something called Fasching (which we knew nothing about at the time), so we were curious and stopped to see what was going on. I don't think many Americans or foreigners have been here, so we were a bit of a novelty there and once we attempted to talk to some of them in our halted German, were treated like special guests and friends. We had such a good time with them that we ended up coming back to Lauterbach after our trip to Triberg and the Black Forest, where the guys in the local band showed us how this tiny city (village?) celebrated Fasching and life in general. Thank you to Frank and a guy everyone called Bobo for giving us such a fun fantastic view into German life. My short time spent in Lauterbach was one of the best times I've ever had travelling.

AUSTRIA:
-Innsbruck - Buying a hat in a small hat shop somewhere in the city. The man working there finally giving me a huge smile and a thumbs-up when I had chosen the 'right' hat, after I had tried on almost every one in the store! He spoke no English, I spoke no German, but he made my day, and I was much warmer on that cold day thanks to that hat.

LUXEMBOURG:
-Luxembourg City - Bless that cab driver's heart, I forgot my limits with alcohol and drank way too much, and was trying out my rusty French, made more horrible by all the lagers, on this poor guy, who was only to happy to engage me in conversation and even politely correct my grammar!

• Intro Updated Oct 14, 2008

• Buckz's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

doubt you drop in here much any more, but when you do next, Happy Birthday 2012.

• Buckz's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2010 at 6:58 AM

It doesn't matter where ye are once ye are both there, Happy Birthday

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM

Happy Birthday Jennifer, and many happy returns of the day. Greetings from Lisbon which is waiting for your visit

• jorgec25's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Hello Jennifer. I wish you a very happy birthday, and all the best. Greetings from sunny Lisbon. Carlos

• rcsparty's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 11:23 PM

happy birthday Jennifer, hope you are enjoying the day

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Happy birthday, and wish you that get free and happy, get fresh and smart, get strong and success, and get harmony and peaceful in your days... from Burma.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hi Jennifer - wishing you a very happy birthday! Have a wonderful day.

• voyageur2's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 5:57 AM

hi jennifer, I wish you a happy new year...

• anpe's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Happy birthday Jennifer !!! may all your dreams come true!! smiles from Greece! anna

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 6:30 AM

Happy birthday, Jennifer! I hope you have a great day!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Voyageuse30's Profile Photo

Voyageuse30

“Living in Virginia now... calling it home.”

Real Name