"Melbourne and its Burbs...." Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne by jadedmuse
Melbourne Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 187 photos
Melbourne, Florida (and its burbs including Indialantic which is where I live), is home to approximately 75,000 residents (give or take the "snow-birds" who come down from the north for the winter) - and a favorite nesting site for the Green Sea Turtle and the Leatherback. Known as part of Florida's "Space Coast", Melbourne borders the warm waters of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic Ocean, is about 60 miles east of Orlando and about 200 miles north of Miami.
Mickey Mouse and those numerous theme parks may be a little too close for comfort to some - but there's also the Kennedy Space Center 30 miles to the north at Cape Canaveral, with amazing rocket launches taking place throughout the year (and the reason for which this part of Florida is nicknamed "The Space Coast")
There's plenty of natural beauty to be found in Melbourne and the surrounding area, with both the lifestyle and the people an easy-going match.
Check out my tips for info on this lovely, understated area.
If you're into gators, you'll see plenty of them along the St. Johns River which is here in the neighborhood. The St. Johns is one of the few rivers that flows northward.
Check out my tips area and Airboat Travelogue for info on airboat rides. A fun way to see some Florida wildlife, up close and personal.
There are two main launch pads at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. The hangar is one mile away from the launch pad and it takes 8 hours to roll the shuttle to the pad. Heavy traffic or just bad gas mileage?
Check out my Kennedy Space Center tip. It's a MUST-SEE for this area!
- Pros:Peaceful, beautiful beaches, no high rise buildings
- Cons:The occasional shark attack
- In a nutshell:Look out for that hurricane!!!!!
Longboard House is on the corner of A1A and 5th Avenue, and has long been a famous Melbourne Beach icon. Inside you'll... more travel advice
Whether you opt for inside dining or patio drinking, City Tropics is where you'll find some semblance of nightlife in... more travel advice
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Melbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "melbourne, florida"
- "Melbourne and its Burbs...."
- "Beach vacation one hour from ORLANDO"
- "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 26 Melbourne"
- "Melbourne, Center of the Space Coast"
- "Melbourne & Vicinity"
- "Welcome to Melbourne, FL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melbourne
- Hotels in Melbourne
- Transportation in Melbourne
- Nightlife in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Warnings and Dangers in Melbourne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melbourne
- 23 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Melbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melbourne
- Posted in Travel Ecuador Forum "Re: Galapagos and Ecuador private..."
- Commented on one of jadedmuse's Melbourne travel pages
- Wrote a Review Beachside B & B in Melbourne Hotels
- updated a Melbourne Travel Page "Melbourne and its Burbs...."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beachside People Watching...and Drinking"
Photos in MelbourneSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 84 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 71 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Papua New Guinea Intro, 62 reviews, 79 photos
- Nepal Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tari Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Israel Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue