"Beautiful Bahia Honda" Bahia Honda Key by jadedmuse
Bahia Honda Key Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 19 photos
Bahia Honda stands out among the Keys because of its sandy beaches (a bit rare in these islands due to the proximity of the scrub foliage and the shallow reefs) and deep water, both attributes making it perfect for snorkeling, diving, swimming, or just hanging out on the beach. Actually, the channel between the old and new bridge (see photos) is one of the deepest natural channels in the Florida Keys.
The Bahia Honda Park is the centerpiece of this particular key, and possibly the lower keys in general. The park runs approximately 525 acres and includes a little offshore island toward the southern end of the park. Per the state park leaflet (which you should request when you enter), “The geological formation of Bahia Honda is Key Largo limestone. It is derived from a prehistoric coral reef similar to the present day living reefs of the Keys. Because of a drop in sea level several thousand years ago, portions of this ancient reef emerged from the sea, forming islands. Bahia Honda is the southernmost key where the formation is exposed.”
Bringing us to the present tense, Bahia Honda is also the birthplace of Henry Flagler’s (a famous Floridian) East Coast Railway. He started a railroad to Key West from here back in 1905, though it wasn’t completed until 1912. Locals referred to it as “Flagler’s Folly” (between the stories while being built, and what happened to it later on). It was destroyed by a hurricane in 1935. If you stand at the southernmost tip of the park, you have a perfect view of the Old Bahia Honda Bridge and it definitely resonates of Flagler’s dream…
For a quick (video) spin of the Florida Keys, click here
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Bahia Honda Key Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bahia Honda State Park"
- "Beautiful Bahia Honda"
- "State Park and Beach"
- "BAHIA HONDA KEY"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bahia Honda Key
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bahia Honda Key?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahia Honda Key
Photos in Bahia Honda KeySee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 84 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 71 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Papua New Guinea Intro, 62 reviews, 79 photos
- Nepal Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tari Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Israel Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue