"Kimbe Bay" Kimbe by jadedmuse

Kimbe Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos

Part of our trip was planned as a kind of "National Geographic" expedition - and the other part was more of an exploratory dive adventure.

Both aspects of the trip were equally rewarding...but the dive part probably had a bit of a more relaxed feel to it compared to what we'd done and seen in the Highlands and Sepik regions.

We flew into the Hoskins airport in the Western province of New Britain island, where we were met by Walindi Plantation representatives and driven to their dive resort in Kimbe Bay.

I can only tell you that if Rabaul is a wreck diver's dream, then Kimbe Bay is a reef and wall diver's paradise. Offering average visiblity of 200 feet-plus, Walindi Plantation made sure that we indulged ourselves to the hilt with wall dives, reef dives, shallow dives, deep dives.....even the Australian guests we'd met there said that this place had the Great Barrier Reef beaten!

For the non-diver, days are filled with bush walks, village visits, fishing, windsurfing or just lazing around on a hammock, enjoying the sun and coastal breezes.

This was a true gem of a place - a little piece of PNG paradise!

For more info/photos on Kimbe Bay area, please see this section's Travel Tips

And if you haven't seen it yet, please visit my intro page under Papua New Guinea

• Intro Updated Jul 19, 2004

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 10:40 PM

What did you say? Vacations are for relaxing?? LOL I see you're busy these days, Miss Muse.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 9:08 AM

It sounds and looks like you had a great time here! Beautiful pictures of your visit too. I visited Kimbe a few times many years ago as I tried to keep the diesel power station going! Thanks for the update on this amazing spot!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2004 at 6:50 PM

no wonder you didn't get the bucket of the ground after all those sordid games and glasses of vinho hehehe but sure, this is an excellent page, I enjoyed

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2004 at 5:29 PM

Next time we meet up, I'll have to pry the "sordid details" out of you over a few glasses of vino, LOL!...cat

• dvideira's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 9:33 PM

I was already so amazed with the other PNG pages and now... the perfect grand finale... reaching the beach - and the reefs, and the sunsets, and the views.... This is a trip to remember for a lifetime. Did I say thanks before ? :-)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 10:35 AM

Walls and reef with 200' vis in West Britain and wrecks galore in East Britain - all in one province it appears;-] Good tips for the aspiring south Pacific diver here.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 5:38 AM

The dive sounds like it was awesome. Fun page!

• Jul 19, 2004 at 8:06 PM

Ten years have gone by and not even all those Special Exports could erase such fine memories from your mind! Exquisite tips, great photos, Muse [ok, now gone fishin'...]

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 5:29 PM

So even a 'jadedmuse' would be totally rejuvenated after visiting this wonderful place? Gr8 tips & this place is pretty close for us. You should check some of my friend catalysta's pages. She loves diving too.

jadedmuse

“To see the world in a grain of sand & heaven in a flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand & eternity in an hour”

Badges & Stats in Kimbe