"Rabaul...ShipWreck Divers' Paradise!" Rabaul by jadedmuse
Rabaul Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 125 photos
Located in the eastern province of the island of New Britain, Rabaul is perhaps best known for the role it played during WWII, when Japanese soldiers stole ashore and stashed grenades and artillery in small caves near the shoreline. It was in fact the WWII headquarters for the Japanese fleet in the Pacific.
To the scuba diving enthusiast, Rabaul is a fascinating trip through the underwater world of WWII shipwrecks - some of the best in the South Pacific. The harbor is literally proliferate with sunken wrecks and reefs resulting from the wartime casualties.
To nature lovers, Rabaul represents a captivating island full of volcanic temptations (last eruption was in 1994) and ecological wonders.
Whether you're a nature lover, a dive fanatic, a historian or a military enthusiast, this smaller island off the main coast of PNG offers something for everyone and should NOT be missed when visiting this part of the world.
For more info/photos on Rabaul, please see this section's Travel Tips
And if you haven't seen it yet, please visit my intro page under Papua New Guinea
Psyche - it's more like a motel - but either way it serves its purpose, especially if you're not too fussy and don't... more travel advice
You can take half a day and explore the island by either renting a car, or hiring a guide (which is what we did). This... more travel advice
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Rabaul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the Mouth of the Volcano"
- "Rabaul...ShipWreck Divers' Paradise!"
- "A walk through Rabaul Markets"
- "Rabaul, Papua New Guinea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rabaul
- Hotels in Rabaul
- Transportation in Rabaul
- Restaurants in Rabaul
- Shopping in Rabaul
- Warnings and Dangers in Rabaul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rabaul
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Rabaul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rabaul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 84 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 71 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Papua New Guinea Intro, 62 reviews, 79 photos
- Nepal Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tari Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Israel Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue