"..." Top 5 Page for this destination Tiberias by jadedmuse
Tiberias Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 348 photos
Seems nothing is without controversy in Israel. I suppose VT is trying to be politically correct by not including under Israel, a number of towns that are located within Israel's geographic borders (and have been since 1967 which is when the War of 1967 was initiated against Israel by Syria, Jordan and Egypt.)
This war lasted 6 days, with Israel emerging victorious in protecting its borders and reinforcing its existence as a sovereign state.
In a further protective measure, Israel pushed its then-borders past the Sea of Galilee (Lake Kinneret) and into what was considered Syrian Territory at that time. This territory is known within Israel as the Golan and the Golan Heights.
Brief history aside, I wanted to call attention to this because it is a perfect example of some of the confusion that abounds in Israel with regard to territory disputes.
What happens is, you might hear about a great place to visit in the Golan Heights. You'll type in the name of the place here on VT and ironically, nothing comes up....as if such a place doesn't exist. (Sort of like looking for the Alamo under "Texas" and not finding it - then typing it in under "Mexico" and it comes up)
I understand that VT likes to steer clear of politics - but I still think that some sort of a cross-reference system could be put into place whereby if you type in one of the current towns within the Golan/Heights, you could at least be "referred" over to its former Syrian name and then take it from there.
How Solomonic could that be...?!
Having said all that, I am sensitive to the Israel/Syria situation but will still list my tips and recommendations for this area under the general umbrella of "Tiberias", to include such areas as Had Nes, the Gamla Nature Reserve, Park Ha'Yarden, and the Yehudiya Nature Reserve - all of which are located in the Golan or the Golan Heights area of contemporary Israel.
- In a nutshell:If you're in Israel then it's Israel - if you're outside of Israel then it's Syria. Confusing? Welcome to the Middle East!
Located in the town of Had Nes which is just a skip up from the northern tip of the Sea of Galilee (Lake Kinneret),... more travel advice
A Druze village located in the Golan area...not as interesting as Majdal Shams (which is a town we drove through,... more travel advice
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Tiberias Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tiberias & The Lake area"
- "Ave Tiberius !!!"
- "resort town on Sea of Galilee"
- "UNFORGETTABLE PILGRIMAGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiberias
- Hotels in Tiberias
- Transportation in Tiberias
- Restaurants in Tiberias
- Shopping in Tiberias
- Warnings and Dangers in Tiberias
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tiberias
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Tiberias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiberias
Photos in TiberiasSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 84 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 71 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Papua New Guinea Intro, 62 reviews, 79 photos
- Nepal Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tari Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Israel Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue