Tambopata Hotel Tips by jadedmuse
Tambopata Hotels: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Check out the OPEN "wall" into the rainforest!
We stayed at Posadas Amazonas Lodge, a community-based ecolodge designed to teach its guests about life in the rainforest.
I have to be honest - while the idea of an ecology friendly lodging facility appeals to me - I was horrified to see that out of the four walls of our room, one was actually open and facing directly into the rainforest! This may thrill some people, but I knew from experience what manner of insect horrors would be awaiting us come nightfall.
Unique Qualities: The rooms were made of bamboo and thatched roofing, and the shower had a running trickle of cold water (which was actually refreshing since it's so hot there. At 6pm, the water is turned off for conservation reasons).
I can recall hearing things scurrying under the floorboards at night - I could even make out small moving shadows - shiver! The rooms had no lights but there were candles and kerosene lamps. Of course, I realized it wasn't a good idea to burn the candles or lamps at night because they attracted bugs.
It was like a catch-22!
The bed had mosquito netting, and I recall lying awake the first night, hearing all these thumps and sounds of things flying into the netting, trying to get in! It was absolutely awful! I don't think I fell asleep until dawn! (that's why I couldn't get up in time to catch the macaw salt-lick excursion!)
The next night was even worse - I had to use the bathroom around 2 am. I was terrified. I turned on the flashlight from under my pillow and saw about a dozen collosal sized grasshoppers clinging to the mosquito netting, crawling around...how could I take a chance to open the net without letting them in? I contemplated going right in my bed....but that wasn't really an option.
Finally I got up the courage and dashed out. As I tiptoed to the bathroom I could hear those mysterious noises under the floor. When I reached the bathroom and flashed the light around, I saw several AMAZON size cockroaches running up the walls and it was all I could do to finish my business and make my way back to the bed as quickly as possible...I was shaking from fear!
It was another hellish night resulting in exhaustion the following day. I passed on whatever excursion was going on that morning, and lazed around like a slug in the open-air "lobby" hammock for most of that day.
On a positive note, the slide shows were really interesting and educational, and the food was good.
Comparison: about average
Directions: Tambopata region
More Reviews (6)
jadedmuse's Related Pages
Tambopata Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tambopata
- Hotels in Tambopata
- Transportation in Tambopata
- Warnings and Dangers in Tambopata
- See All...
Explore the World
- Quest on King William
- Grand Beach Inn
- Hotel Ibis Little Bourke St
- Tropicana Inn & Suites
- Howard Plaza Hotel
- Hotel Caballero
- Aparthotel Mirador del Atlantico
- Stratford Inn
- Bermudas Hotel Benidorm - Costa Blanca
- Colonial Resort
- Hotel San Francesco
- Griswold Inn
- Mainistir House Hostel
- The Windsor Hotel
Badges & Stats in Tambopata
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Tambopata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tambopata
Photos in TambopataSee All Photos (5)
Read real reviews about Tambopata Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 84 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 71 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Papua New Guinea Intro, 62 reviews, 79 photos
- Nepal Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tari Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Israel Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tibet Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue