Vienna Shopping Tips by themajor
Vienna Shopping: 206 reviews and 320 photos
NOT TO BE DROPPED BEFORE 3000AD!
The pleasure of window shopping for things you cannot afford is only surpassed by the thrill of realising that you might just be able to buy them. It's unlikely happen in this case though!
Strolling down Wollzeile one evening, we came across a rather swish shop selling watches, clocks, jewellery etc My eye was drawn to this rather extraordinary timepiece in the window. Not particularly pretty, in fact not really to my taste at all. Even so, I was fascinated to see that the dial on the timepiece stretched all the way to the year 3000! After much delving I later discovered that this was Jaeger le Coultre's 'Atmos du Millénaire', an extraordinary bit of mechanical engineering powered purely by fluctuations in temperature and guaranteed to outlive both it's owner and a good many of his ancestors. Needless to say, no price was visible in the window and I wasn't able to find a price online either - I doubt they're embarrassed because it's so cheap and affordable!
What to pay: I dread to think! Probably not a good idea to put it in the kids bedroom and I wouldn't want to be the one who dropped it at 11.59 pm on the 31st December 2999!
Address: Wollzeile 8, 1010, Wien
Directions: A short stroll from Stephansplatz
Phone: +43 1/535 4828
Food, glorious food!
If you've been to London and enjoyed visiting Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly, then this is the food shop for you. Similar in style and replete with fine produce from around the world it really is a delight. True, things aren't at supermarket prices but they're not too bad - and if it's quality and choice you are after, this is a food store par excellence. If you cant face walking any longer, and the evening trawl for restaurants doesn't appeal, you could do a lot worse than smuggle back some fine purchases from the delicatessen section into your hotel room to provide a relaxed supper. Be discreet though. Don't leave a mess for your chambermaids and dispose of your rubbish outside the hotel the next morning.
What to pay: How long is a pice of string...or should that be spaghetti?
Address: 1 Kohlmarkt
Directions: Smack at the top of the Graben where it meets Kohlmarkt - can't miss it!
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (36)
- See All FOOD FOR THOUGHT - EAT IN THE MUSEUM!
- See All RED ARMY MEMORIAL:UNFORGETTABLE OR BEST...
- See All CIVIC PRIDE VIENNESE STYLE!
- See All DON'T BE A SISSI! WHY NOT STAY HERE?
- THINGS ARE LOOKING UP...LITERALLY!
themajor's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malapi Hotels
- Loch Humphrey Hotels
- Puerto de Gandía Hotels
- Bradenton Beach Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 38 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 85 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Apparently hundreds of..."
- Commented on one of kiwi's Vienna travel pages
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "THE MAJOR'S MEANDERINGS IN VOLUPTUOUS VIENNA !"
- Wrote a Review FOOD FOR THOUGHT - EAT IN THE MUSEUM! in Vienna Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "HOW TO GET TAKEN FOR A RIDE IN VIENNA & ENJOY IT!"
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Vienna hotel reviews
- Pension Vera
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 27, 2013
- Kolping Wien Zentral
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Pension City
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2013
- Pension Dr. Geissler
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Hotel Sacher Wien
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Hotel Erzherzog Rainer Vienna
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Golden Tulip Vienna All Suites Modul
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Doco Hotel Vienna
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Hotel Mate Dependance
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Drei Kronen
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- K+K Hotel Maria Theresia
- 594 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Savoy Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Eurostars Vienna
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel Park-Villa
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hofburg- 231 Reviews, 503 Photos
- Schonbrunn- 291 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Stephansdom- 234 Reviews, 469 Photos
- Belvedere- 172 Reviews, 310 Photos
- Hundertwasser- 111 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Ringstrasse- 174 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 95 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - KHM- 55 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Giant Ferris Wheel- 45 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Oper - Staatsoper- 96 Reviews, 161 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do