Avebury Warnings Or Dangers Tips by themajor Top 5 Page for this destination
Avebury Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 5 photos
WOOLY-MINDED VISITORS BEWARE!
If you cannot take a prettily rural picture in Avebury I fear for both you and your camera. For once you have dodged your fellow tourists setting up a scene of beauty is an absolute snap - well, almost! For although you have the mighty stones, trees, hills and lush grass you also have sheep. Delightful though they are, much of the ancient site seems to be used as common grazing land - which is cheaper, greener and more picturesque than maintaining a sit-on mower! However, the sheep do have an additional by-product to add to the more welcome lamb cutlets and wool - namely, sheep manure. There is loads of it, liberally pelleted across the site. So watch where you walk and search before you sit!
A MAJOR INTRUSION?
A visit to Avebury is certainly something I'd strongly recommend but timing is of the essence. If you are going to seek out a spiritual experience then you really need to plan your visit with a little care, for it is somewhat difficult to connect with you inner self or transport yourself back to the ancients when a coach party trundles past you armed with baseball caps and ice cream cornets. My most recent visit was made at 2pm on a delightfully warm afternoon early in September. Although my photos might suggest the place was deserted it really wasn't - to obtain a semblance of spiritual solitude a degree of patience and careful photo framing was the order of the day. Although it wasn't exactly heaving with visitors it was fairly busy and as we left yet another coach party came rolling into the car park.
The good news is that there are plently of stones spread liberally throughout the village - enough for everyone - but if you're seeking to replicate a 'mystical' experience with just you and the stones and eerily atmospheric silence you'd do best coming very early in the morning or leaving it til late in the day. If you don't you will simply have to put up with chaps like us!
PS I am busily stone-hugging out of shot.
More Reviews (6)
themajor's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos