Avebury Hotel Tips by themajor Top 5 Page for this destination
Avebury Hotels: 179 reviews and 7 photos
A PINT AND A POLTERGEIST?
Unless you are a keen researcher into the stone circle or you find yourself on late night druid patrol you probably won't need to stay in Avebury. Those who fancy a bit of ghost hunting might however find the Red Lion to their liking. In many old inns - and this building dates from the 17th cenury - one can often find tales of unpleasant apparitions. Normally this simply refers to standard of the 'Ploughman's lunches' but here we have a racy tale of a Cavalier husband and an unfaithful wife. Florrie (apparently that was her name) was murdered by her jealous and avenging who slit her throat and hid the body down the well. Needless to say she was not terribly chuffed about it and can be seen wandering the inn. According to the locals many people have refused to stay here more than one night - but according to some vociferous web critics this might have more to do with the food and accommodation than the haunting! Perhaps best left for the dedicated spectre inspector? Ghostly or ghastly? The choice is yours. (If it has any bearing, I was told that Wednesdays used to be Bikers Night)
Address: High Street, Avebury, Wiltshire. SN8 1RF
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: If you're amidst the stones, you're only a stone's throw away.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 01672 539266
More Reviews (7)
themajor's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Explore the World
- Carfax Hotel
- Hotel Mediteran
- Grand Hotel Mercure Nantes Central
- Diamant Boutique Canberra
- Perth City YHA Hostel
- Hotel Am Schelztor
- Casa Lorenzina Bed and Breakfast
- Kyriad Marseille Rabatau
- Comfort Inn Long Island City
- Mavi Guesthouse
- University Place Conference Center & Hotel Indianapolis
- Koka Roka
- Afon Gwyn
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Read real reviews about Avebury Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos