"AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!" Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury by themajor

Avebury Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 244 photos

STONEHENGE'S PRETTIER SISTER!

Dear Reader, do not be surprised if the Major suddenly reveals his mystical bent - thankfully it is still legal - for beneath the brim of my solatopi there lurks...a yearning! Admittedly it is mostly a yearning for chocolate biscuits but is supplemented by a heartfelt need to seek out the spiritual. This is not a new or faddish thing for I have brushed against things supernatural from an early age - admittedly this was in the form of my Sooty Xylophone and David Nixon Magic Set but it was a beginning. At the end of the day is there really that much of a romantic and spiritual divide between a plastic magic coin box and a 4500 year old megalithic monument? Well actually, yes there is! And if you have noticed that you may pass onto the next stage of our spiritual quest. (Please feel free to touch the screen and repeat an appropriate incantation - nothing too risqué please!)

• Intro Updated Sep 8, 2005

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

A place I'd love! I'll come prepared with mac & watch others rush back to their coach...oh the Schadenfreude! :) btw no escargots on birthday here either, we'd already chosen wine for frog legs. Tks for this page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Hello, Nick! Thanks for your page with nice description that made me want to travel there....

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 4:59 AM

A great read! I love your succinct nightlife tip especially :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM

This is near Swindon? Oh my, I was there quite often but never found a way to see these stones :-) Has Mr. Brown been seen there lately? Maybe I should plan a visit and try and convince Florrie to join me :-))

• Jul 3, 2008 at 1:23 AM

my dear, a train journey through the enlightened heart of old europe sounds quite fantastic. who knows, you might venture further afield one day and, gasp! enter the dark lands of the balkans! i'll wait for you in croatia, with our teabags and digestives!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 5:20 AM

mad page - i love it

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 8:29 PM

Heya Major! Always love returning to your pages. Just realized - the main monolith pic on the Avebury homepage reminds me so much of the menhirs of Obelix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelix)! Think there might be a story to it? ~Eve & Ash :-D

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 1:57 AM

Did this page again. Spiritual top up can't hurt. Can it?

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2005 at 2:19 PM

Happy Birthday Major!!!

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 5:45 AM

Jolly good Page old Boy! how come ive only just found your site? thought i'd start with Avebury, you did it justice,thanks..will be back for more of your wacky witty style

themajor

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Badges & Stats in Avebury

Have you been to Avebury?

Latest Activity in Avebury