"GLASTONBURY - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!" Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury by themajor
Glastonbury Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 437 photos
Upon entering Glastonbury it will soon become obvious that we are on a different plane. No, not Salisbury Plain - although one must admit that isn't too far away - but an Astral Plane! For dear readers, we have reached a realm where things are decidedly different and yet remarkably similar! Confused? I do hope so, for Glastonbury is the very Beacon of Befuddlement. People arrive to seek the answer to the 'Big Question' yet many leave having found delightfully questionable answers. It is fun but infuriating. It delights in running esoteric courses that ruffle the feathers of our staid society, yet will get awfully ruffled if you don't have the means to pay for them. It is a place where one minute you can enjoy the heady thrill of discovering a shop displaying 'real' magic wands, only to be brought down to earth the next by their hefty price tags. Moreover, it boasts a High Street in which the very air itself is made of one percent oxygen and ninety-nine percent joss stick. And yet, in spite of this, I do keep wandering back. Enlightenment can be found - why look, I have found it for you!
There can be little doubt that there is a Glastonbury look, though what that look is, depends upon which side of the Great Divide you belong. My researches have uncovered three distinct types of Glastonburyite.
'The Local Type A' (Seeker of Truth and wearer of kaftans)
'The Local Type B' (Seeker of Tescos and a quiet pint away from the wearers of kaftans) and finally
'The Tourists' who can be either type A or B.
When I visit, I often frequent a café where the 'Local Type Bs' go to hide and stock up on toasted sandwiches. Tofu is unheard of here and the smell of incense has long given way to the smell of fried bacon. Nevertheless perhaps one ought to make a little more effort to blend in once one ventures into the main street and the plethora of New Age shops that lie beyond, for that dear reader is the lair of the Type As! Please allow me to furnish you with a snap of what to expect...
As you can imagine, this is a difficult look for me to attain. I have the moustache and beard but it lacks wilfulness and studied bedragglement. I tend to go for my usual bowtie and waxed moustache, which in itself is appealingly eccentric and (particularly when viewed against an overwhelming backdrop of tie-dye) does appear rather daring! However, over the Christmas period I fashioned this little number which I believe combines traditional charm with a smattering of pagan panache. What do you think? Right that's me done then. I'm going back!
- Pros:Quite, quite mad
- Cons:Quite, quite mad
- In a nutshell:Mind where you dip your crystals!
As a foodie of some years standing...well, some years sitting down with a knife and fork to be honest - I have been in... more travel advice
One of the things I really love about Glastonbury is it's marvellous array of curious and quirky shops. Needless to say,... more travel advice
themajor's Related Pages
Glastonbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GLASTONBURY - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!"
- "The Mystical Isle of Avalon"
- "Glastonbury - not just for hippies"
- "Glastonbury - Tranquility at it's finest!"
- "Glastonbury Festival"
- "England's mountains green"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glastonbury
- Hotels in Glastonbury
- Transportation in Glastonbury
- Nightlife in Glastonbury
- Restaurants in Glastonbury
- Shopping in Glastonbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Glastonbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glastonbury
- 20 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Glastonbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glastonbury
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Apparently hundreds of..."
- Uploaded a Video to Glastonbury
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Chalice Well Gardens - tranquil retreat"
- Wrote a Review Delicious - but low on monkeys! in Glastonbury Restaurants
- updated a Glastonbury Travel Page "GLASTONBURY - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!"
Photos in GlastonburySee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos