"HOVE INTO VIEW! (BRIGHTON'S RESPECTABLE BROTHER!)" Hove by themajor

Hove Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 25 photos

WHAT IS HOVE?

Well might you ask Sirrah...and so I shall tell you! Hove is the respectable elder brother of that raffish ne'er-do-well Brighton. If Brighton was where you died to live, Hove was where you lived to die. Once separate and snooty, Hove's independence as a separate town and borough was cruelly snatched away by our political masters, who announced a hasty shotgun wedding with our errant neighbour and produced that Jekyll and Hyde of conurbations, the 'City of Brighton and Hove'.

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

In truth we probably gained more than we lost. Although the two towns had always enmeshed invisibly, it was Brighton who had the notable lions share of restaurants etc. For most of the last century Hove has had neither nightclubs, cinemas nor theatres...in fact this is true to this very day...'er, though I am told there is a lap-dancing emporium near the municipal library. No, compared to Brighton Hove has always been quiet, which is why people often preferred to live on this side of the divide. You could use Brighton's amenties and then scuttle off to seek sanctuary over the border.

CELEBRITIES OF HOVE!

There are to this day a goodly smattering of celebrities who live in Hove but alas, when quoted in trendy newspaper columns they inevitably claim their abode is in Brighton. There is in fact a little 'Millionaires Row' of white villas on Hove seafront complete with their own private beaches and resident celebs. These include Sir Paul McCartney and his wife Heather, Fat Boy Slim and his missus Zoe Ball, Nick Cave, Nick Berry (who he?) etc...and yes, they are sometimes seen strolling around like the normal human beings they really are. It must however be pointed out that is far better to stroll on the promenade than the beach. For if there is one thing we have in common with our noisier neighbour it is the preponderence of pebbles and the shortage of sand. So if you come for a dip and fancy a spot of sunbathing do turn up with plenty of natural padding or a good thick beach towel!

• Pros:It's not blowzy Brighton!
  • Cons:It is wholeheartedly Hove!
  • In a nutshell:Hove is where the heart is...and Sir Paul McCartney...'er, sometimes!
  • Last visit to Hove: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2007

• Aug 2, 2009 at 5:25 AM

A great place for special easter eggs. At Christmas Audreys have chocolate-covered cherries in brandy. Delicious. I think they supply Fortnums and Masons....

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Hello, Nick! Thanks for your humour, always!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Your tips are always very educational for us non-Brits, and today I learned another new word: groyne. (Sorry, I was one of those you caught sniggering. May I go back to my desk now?)

• Oct 3, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Morning Major! I'm still very confused about the Brighton and Hove amalgamation... I can never tell when I have left one and am in the other.... the join is imperceptible to the human eye.. wish they would paint a big red line somewhere!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for visiting my Kara-Kol pages .. I have a few pages which need an overhaul and not deemed 'politically correct', I thought by hiding this diatribe away on a far off place in the Tien Shan mountains, it would remain unseen...Alas no,,,

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Gheee ... Nick. You haven't been online for a while. Still love to browse over your pages. Another well done with your English humor and slang! Thanx.

• Gwynethart's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 8:37 AM

No sniggering about groynes?! Oh dear, right as I was doing just that! Will have to make it to Hove just for the signage alone. :-) Cheers, Gwyneth

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2005 at 5:47 AM

being very fond of cats I was thrilled to see your disclaimer with asterisk at the bottom of your beach hut page.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 3:28 PM

Hilarious Major - keep up the good work, dear boy. fergy.

• PeteNL's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 1:32 PM

Ah, couldn't refrain myself from having a look at your Hove page already. And it's too goog to be missed! Truly enjoy your style of writing!

themajor Used To Live Here!

themajor

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Badges & Stats in Hove