"HOVE INTO VIEW! (BRIGHTON'S RESPECTABLE BROTHER!)" Hove by themajor
Hove Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 19 photos
Well might you ask Sirrah...and so I shall tell you! Hove is the respectable elder brother of that raffish ne'er-do-well Brighton. If Brighton was where you died to live, Hove was where you lived to die. Once separate and snooty, Hove's independence as a separate town and borough was cruelly snatched away by our political masters, who announced a hasty shotgun wedding with our errant neighbour and produced that Jekyll and Hyde of conurbations, the 'City of Brighton and Hove'.
In truth we probably gained more than we lost. Although the two towns had always enmeshed invisibly, it was Brighton who had the notable lions share of restaurants etc. For most of the last century Hove has had neither nightclubs, cinemas nor theatres...in fact this is true to this very day...'er, though I am told there is a lap-dancing emporium near the municipal library. No, compared to Brighton Hove has always been quiet, which is why people often preferred to live on this side of the divide. You could use Brighton's amenties and then scuttle off to seek sanctuary over the border.
There are to this day a goodly smattering of celebrities who live in Hove but alas, when quoted in trendy newspaper columns they inevitably claim their abode is in Brighton. There is in fact a little 'Millionaires Row' of white villas on Hove seafront complete with their own private beaches and resident celebs. These include Sir Paul McCartney and his wife Heather, Fat Boy Slim and his missus Zoe Ball, Nick Cave, Nick Berry (who he?) etc...and yes, they are sometimes seen strolling around like the normal human beings they really are. It must however be pointed out that is far better to stroll on the promenade than the beach. For if there is one thing we have in common with our noisier neighbour it is the preponderence of pebbles and the shortage of sand. So if you come for a dip and fancy a spot of sunbathing do turn up with plenty of natural padding or a good thick beach towel!
- Pros:It's not blowzy Brighton!
- Cons:It is wholeheartedly Hove!
- In a nutshell:Hove is where the heart is...and Sir Paul McCartney...'er, sometimes!
Celebrating 60 years in business since their shop opened in 1948, Audrey's are renowned in Brighton and Hove for making... more travel advice
Any blighters thinking of invading Hove should pause and reflect now. For though we might seem mild and middle class you... more travel advice
themajor's Related Pages
Hove Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOVE INTO VIEW! (BRIGHTON'S RESPECTABLE BROTHER!)"
- "Brighton and...."
- "Hove....the posh end of Brighton (apparently)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hove
- Restaurants in Hove
- Shopping in Hove
- Warnings and Dangers in Hove
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hove
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Hove?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hove
- updated a Hove Travel Page "HOVE INTO VIEW! (BRIGHTON'S RESPECTABLE BROTHER!)"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Apparently hundreds of..."
- Uploaded a Video to Hove
- Wrote a Review IMPECCABLE TASTE in Hove Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "IMPECCABLE TASTE"
- Commented on one of pashadupont's Hove travel pages
Photos in HoveSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos