"LEWES - 'IT'S NICER THAN BRIGHTON!'" Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes by themajor
Lewes Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 122 photos
Lewes is one of my favourite towns in the United Kingdom. Although I don't happen to live here I do visit every week pursuing my long-held love of antiques and auctions. I often pause by estate agents windows and go through my customary daydream - which has lasted almost 30 years now - of pretending which expensive flint built townhouse i will be moving into next week. I never quite realise these lofty ambtions as the small matter of money always gets in the way. I am working on it.
The town is a delight. A curious mix of conservative tweedy respectibility (for Lewes was the county town of East Sussex before administrative governmental meddling started juggling with our delightfully ancient traditions) and green eco-warriordom (WWOOF, Willing Workers On Organic Farms is based here together with the worlds' supply of dried lentils...well, more than the odd bagful anyway.) Such is the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the place that you get wonderfully earnest ventures selling organic nuclear-free hemp* sitting decorously alongside shops that purvey elegantly coiled lengths of rope for you to display upon your mantlepiece next to your Philippe Stark lemon squeezer. Add a real life mediaeval castle, Anne of Cleves' Tudor hideaway, twee cottages, art galleries and a splendid smattering of characterful shops and you can't go wrong. Brighton may be bright and breezy but you'll love Lewes. And I haven't even mentioned the UK's most extraordinary Bonfire Night celebrations...
*I believe it is only right that I declare myself as being an organic-eating green-living non-car owner. It doesn't quite go with the solatopi but I am indeed an odd mix....
I have an extraordinary tale to tell. Before it was purchased and used as council offices, the buildings behind Lewes... more travel advice
Well this is one tourist trap you really ought to fall into. The Lewes Tourist Information Centre is packed with... more travel advice
themajor's Related Pages
Lewes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LEWES - 'IT'S NICER THAN BRIGHTON!'"
- "Great Town"
- "The Paddock, Lewes, East Sussex, England"
- "Lewes Castle"
- "1066 Norman Castle & Tudor Anne of Cleaves House"
- "Lewes- Burning the Pope every November"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lewes
- Hotels in Lewes
- Transportation in Lewes
- Nightlife in Lewes
- Restaurants in Lewes
- Shopping in Lewes
- Warnings and Dangers in Lewes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lewes
- 16 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Lewes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lewes
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Apparently hundreds of..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lewes House - walk past and ponder"
- updated a Lewes Travel Page "LEWES - 'IT'S NICER THAN BRIGHTON!'"
- Commented on one of Anastasia_G's Lewes travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lewes House - walk past and ponder in Lewes Things to Do
Photos in LewesSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos