"TUNBRIDGE WELLS - WHERE THE BROGUES RUN FREE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells by themajor

Tunbridge Wells Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 155 photos

DISGUSTED! TUNBRIDGE WELLS...

Ladies and Gentlemen! Be not afraid of this chapter heading, for Tunbridge Wells (or to give it it's full title 'Royal Tunbridge Wells') is a delightful town where the tweedy and conservative amongst us may walk freely and drink deeply...'er, that's tea I'm talking about! 'Disgusted! Tunbridge Wells' is simply a British expression, shorthand when you want to show that something is likely to offend or when you want to point out a person who is moralistic and easily offended. This came about because Tunbridge Wells was/is supposed to be the sort of place well-to-do personages of military bearing would retire to. A place steeped in good old British conservatism and traditionalist values.

Apparently, Tunbridge Wells was once a mecca for crumbly Colonels and moustached Majors but they are, sadly , a disappearing breed. Nevertheless, in the Major's book the measure of any decent place is whether the local charity shops are likely to offer a smattering of bow ties and cravats...and here, they do. I love it !

• Pros:You can wear your tweed with pride!
  • Cons:Trainers are still legal
  • In a nutshell:A spa with old world charm and sparkle!
  • Last visit to Tunbridge Wells: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2010

• Buckz's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM

is it a secret shop that sells games, or a shop that sells secret games? Either way the pics and text are great.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Hello, Nick! I must say I enjoyed Morris Dancing in our capital once... Unforgettable , like reading your pages! Thank you for your inspirational humour! ><><

• PeteG's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Morning Major! Great tips on T Wells. Love the game shop myself and quite often have a wander round in there. Nice pages. Pete

• MichaelRees's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Fun AND games in Tunbridge Wells

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 7:40 PM

What a superb page! Top class tips :-) Alas my husband doesn't wear brogues but they would let the mud in down the farm LOL. Now that fudge in the games shop sounds interesting ... I am impressed at Tunbridge Wells!!

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Lovely page... looking forward to reading more, thank you for sharing. :-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Said crusty colonels and mouldering majors must be shaking their halos (or horns) in disbelief at the thought of organic pizza in place of Brown Windsor soup. As for oriental bounders waggling their hips ..... Great stuff - but we need more. leyle

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 4:41 AM

Dear daily Mail, Tunbridge has been portayed on VT as a n enclave of crusty old duffers. I don't see what the fuss is all about yours disgusted of Tunbridge Wells Col. Harry Curtains (mrs). (Deceased)

• Janani's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Thanks for your comment. I'll have to pay another visit before I can write any more but reading your tips certainly tempts my tastebuds to return. I hope I'll be excused if I give the brogues a miss though!

• May 28, 2006 at 11:14 PM

LOL!! Brilliant (in a diamonte kinda way) page! Major!! I "Took the waters" yesterday - although Petra says my page is taking the something else about this town ;-))

themajor Visits Here Frequently!

themajor

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Badges & Stats in Tunbridge Wells

Have you been to Tunbridge Wells?

Videos in Tunbridge Wells