"PORTMEIRION - ARCHITECTURAL GEM & CULT LOCATION!" Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion by themajor
Portmeirion Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 153 photos
Well, actually you CAN have it...and here it is! Portmeirion was the design fantasy of Sir Clough Williams-Ellis that blossomed between 1925 and 1975 into architectural reality. Drawing upon a variety of styles and a pool of colours, this eccentric genius incorporated romantic remnants of demolished buildings into the fabric of his 'new' creations. This village is like no other you'll ever come across. For starters it is built to a slightly smaller and oddly more 'human' scale and although the cottages are all real and the exquisite little shops open for business, nobody actually lives there. People staff it and tourists throng to it but hotel guests are the only residents Portmeirion allows. At night the gates are shut and paying guests are free to roam through their own private dreamland. It's wonderfully romantic and would be a splendid base from which to explore North Wales. Of course, you could just sit back and take in the stunning views,the woodland walks or the beautiful bay. Then again you could join those who are drawn here by the chance to indulge in a bit of virtual reality...
The virtual reality to which I refer is of course the cult 60s TV series, 'The Prisoner'. The series really was a child of the Sixties in everything from it's storyline to it's design. A quirky combination of Kafka and Mary Quant, it told the strange story of a secret agent who resigns his post and awakens to find himself incarcerated within the boundaries of a strange community. Their neatly blazered leaders and his brainwashed fellow villagers are keen to sacrifice their principles in order to discover what happened to his. And let's not forget 'Rover', the giant marauding bubble that rose from the depths to smother any rebellious miscreant that blocked it's master's path. Confused? Of course! We all were but at the end of the day it was great thought provoking entertainment. The star of the show was Patrick McGoohan but the all pervading memory is that of The Village itself - Portmeirion! So what could be better for any fan of the series than the chance to stay as a guest INSIDE the television programme? But this time of course you ARE allowed to leave. (and frankly, you couldn't afford to stay for too long anyway!)
So there we have it. Two distinct types of holiday in the same resort - neither mutually exclusive and both enjoyable. Frankly, if you've never seen the series you really ought to buy the DVDs and take a peek before you come - it will increase your appreciation of this beautiful place. Those purely with relaxation in mind should check the web to ensure you sidestep the occasional fan convention that meets there - and all should be aware that Portmeirion is particularly popular for weddings the weekends.
"Be seeing you!"
- Pros:Perfect base for luxury laden sightseeing
- Cons:A delight at night but open to all comers during the day!
- In a nutshell:A rare-bit of Wales (sorry about the pun!)
It certainly looks inviting doesn't it? Moored just outside the hotel, on the edge of the beautiful bay you come across... more travel advice
themajor's Related Pages
Portmeirion Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portmeirion Prisoners"
- "A touch of Italy - In North Wales"
- "PORTMEIRION - ARCHITECTURAL GEM & CULT LOCATION!"
- "Day Trip to the Beach"
- "I am not a Number"
- "In Search of Number Six"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portmeirion
- Hotels in Portmeirion
- Transportation in Portmeirion
- Restaurants in Portmeirion
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portmeirion
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Portmeirion?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portmeirion
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Apparently hundreds of..."
- Commented on one of DEBBBEDB's Portmeirion travel pages
- updated a Portmeirion Travel Page "PORTMEIRION - ARCHITECTURAL GEM & CULT LOCATION!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "PORTMEIRION - ARCHITECTURAL GEM & CULT LOCATION!"
- Wrote a Review BOAT TRIPS - HOW TO GET THAT SINKING FEELING! in Portmeirion Transportation
Photos in PortmeirionSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Bristol Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Hove Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos